Saturday, September 23, 2006

Sat 9/23 Goodbye Speedy

I had the sweetest, funniest, saddest time with Samuel this morning.  You have to understand my sweet boy to get this, so if you haven't met him, some of the humor & sweetest may be lost to you....but anyway..................

In the past, Samuel has had a fly light on his arm (in the house) & he called it "Speedy".  Speedy would always end up flying away, but he was determined that everytime one was near him, it was always the same fly---Speedy.  I'm sure that "Speedy" was killed or flew back out the door repeatedly, but to Samuel, it was always Speedy coming back to visit when he'd see a new fly.

Last night, a fly got in the house & ended up being 'injured'.  One wing was missing, so he couldn't fly anymore, and Samuel picked him up & carried him around all evening.  "Speedy" walked on his hand/arms all evening & even went to bed with Samuel.  I reminded Samuel at bedtime that putting Speedy in bed with him might be dangerous b/c he might roll over on him.  He cleared out a big space of his stuffed animals (he sleeps with dozens of them!) and put Speedy there to insure his safety.

About 15 minutes ago, Samuel came running to my bedroom, nearly in tears that Speedy had died during the night...and was now missing both wings.  I assured Samuel that Speedy's family would have comfort in knowing that he provided Speedy with a safe, soft place to lay in his final hours and that I'm sure Speedy died of natural causes during the night.  He was determined to bury the fly, but being that it's 7am & we're both in PJ's & the sun is barely up, I didn't want to go stand in the backyard to watch him bury his beloved Speedy....so we opted for a kitchen windowsill flowerpot instead.  :)

Ok, so it was just a fly....but to my sweet boy, it was his friend.  He told me that Speedy was "1/2 fly, 1/2 brother, 1/2 friend."  <grin>  (someone needs a little work on fractions doesn't he?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww what a cute story:) you have a very caring young man

Deb

Anonymous said...

aww.....your boy sure is sweet!
Becky

Anonymous said...

oh, what a cute compassionate boy you are raising in Samuel. To care about a fly and to love him so much! Wow!!

(yes, my email address is the same as my names I leave on comments. I do think we would be friends if we met in real life. We have one thing in common - a very important thing - we love Jesus - and a second thing in common - we love children and lost children. You took 2 lost children into your house and made them part of your family. How awesome is that? I truly admire you and your husband for that).

betty