Wednesday, July 1, 2009

SUMMER DAY 33, Wed July 1

Oh my gosh. Where has the summer gone? I realize we still have 50-something days to go, but it seems like the kids JUST got out of school & it's already JULY. Sure, it's just July 1st, but wow. Before you know it, we'll be going to meet the teacher nights for my younger kids & registering my (by then) new teenager for 8th grade. I find that one hard to believe....I remember the things I learned & pulled in the 8th grade. Thankfully my own daughter is no where near most of that stuff (no interest in boys, no devious behavior...that I know of. Dear God, I hope mom has forgiven me by now!). Ugh. And we're on the verge of "that" too. And she'd probably DIE if she knew I wrote that here on my blog for the world to see. So umm, if you see her, shhhhhh...don't mention it, ok? Boy ... I swear the time goes by more quickly every year.

Ok, let's recap the last few days.

A week ago today, I took my eldest offspring (the one I embarassed in the paragraph above) to meet her best girlfriends in a nearby town. They moved away 6 years ago and somehow, the three of them (they're twins) have kept in touch & kept the friendship going strong enough to want to get together & visit a couple times a year. I love watching them all blossom & change & grow. It's been so neat to see these three little teeny girls (who met when they were in Kindergarten) grow into beautiful young ladies....and to watch their friendship grow & change over the years has been sweet, too.

Originally, the plan was for Savannah to stay there 1 week and come home today. Due to a change in plans, we decided on adding 2 more days to the visit. While I know she's loving every minute of the visit and their family adores her like one of their own.......I sure do miss her. Samuel, Sarah & I will make the drive Friday morning to go pick her up again. I'm getting anxious to have her home! After all, I'm having to do all the dishes & laundry with her gone. ha ha! And besides, if she stays much longer they may start charging her rent. ha ha!

In the days that have passed since Savannah's departure, we had the health scare with my father in law and then just regular day to day stuff.

On Tuesday, my school began the 2nd summer session. My class mostly stayed the same with just a couple of new little faces added to the mix. Can I ask you to take 2 seconds & stop reading right now & say a prayer for me and this class? (It's ok, I'll wait. Just look for these words in red to know where to start again.) I'll have most of these same kids for the rest of the summer. And for the first time in a long time, I'm dreading going to work tomorrow. Having 1 child who is a challenge is one thing. I kinda like a challenge. Having to work extra hard to get that 1 child into the school mode is fun. Holding them in your arms to talk to them, sitting them in your lap during circle time to assure that they're focused & listening, sitting next to them every day at lunchtime ....it's a pretty sweet way to get their attention & help them learn the routine. And by the time they're promoting out of your class, you've fallen in love with the kid (or at least that always seems to be how it works for me). This session, however, I don't just have 1 challenging child. I've got well...quite a few. And some of them are HUGE challenges. Not just little speedbumps in the road but full blown mountains with volcanic activity under the surface and acid spewing from the cracks. Boy oh boy.... I need strength to get through the rest of the summer....and some strong hair follicles because I'm afraid I may pull all my hair out before August 20th. Thank goodness I only do this 2 days a week during the summer. {NOTE: I have some absolutely precious kids, too, but the challenging ones sure take the focus off the sweet ones.}

Ok...moving on.

I love watching my kids use their imaginations during the summer months. Don't get me wrong, they use them year-round, but it's especially fun during the summer. Sometimes the smallest things amuse them. Take Monday's marker/basketball bowling for example. Samuel came up with the idea & set up his "pins".


And then it was time to get ready for the first roll of the ball.

Can you see that blur of a ball flying past the camera? Oh yeah...it took out a few pins.

Only four more left! (but I didn't get a pic of the final bowl)

And last night after work, my husband went to my parents' house to pick peas. They have a huge garden & grow tons of veggies every year. We always get blessed by the abundance of their produce and still have loads of peas in the freezer from the past couple summers. We really don't have a place to store any MORE peas. But my sweet honey wanted to go pick some more anyway. I tried to remind him that it's 100+ degrees and picking peas is hard work, but alas, I couldn't deter him. He went to pick for the simple joy of doing it. Hey, whatever floats your boat, baby. (by the way, I did find a place to put the 2 bags he brought home)

Today was an especially productive one. A friend of mine asked me if I'd found some kids' ADD medicine today. I had to laugh because I'm not usually able to stay focused long enough to finish this many tasks. So ha ha...even without my dose of Ritalin, I finished the following:

1. several loads of laundry
2. dishes (x 3 loads before the day was done)
3. made all of my July lesson plans & supply lists
4. typed up a letter to my class kids' parents
5. cooked/served 3 meals (2 easy ones and 1 more complex & involved)
6. made our menu & grocery list out for this coming week
7. watched several episodes of Phineas & Ferb w/ the kids (while folding laundry of course)
8. watched House Hunters & Twins by Surprise tonight
9. checked my email/facebook a few times throughout the day
10. packed up a bunch of books to ship tomorrow
11. cleaned off the bar (trust me, this is a pretty major feat)
12. cleaned my kitchen sink (yikes... have you seen what's on the backside of the faucet/handle thingy?.....gross!)
13. read a few chapters in my current Karen Kingsbury book (Halfway to Forever)
14. and others things I'm sure, but it's getting late............

Whew. It's just past midnight & I need to hit the sack. Time to rest up for my workday tomorrow. Thanks again for your prayers!

No comments: