Thursday, October 11, 2012

What? Only 74 days til Christmas?

Yeah, you read that right.  If you don't believe me go to this site & check for yourself.  http://www.xmasclock.com/

Oh my heavens.

School started August 27th.  I started my job on August 28th.  And bam!  I blinked at it's October 11th.  Where the heck did September go?

Seriously, the past 6 weeks have FLOWN by.  It's good that time is passing quickly (days that dragggg are well, a drag.)  But I wish it would slow down just a tad so that I could relish the moments a little more.  I feel like I'm on a merry-go-round right now.  My days are a steady rhythm of wake up, get the kids ready for school & out the door on time, work all day, pick up kids, do homework & dinner and whatever is on the calendar for that evening, go to bed...and repeat.  Fall seems to work like that every year.  It's busy, busy, busy...go, go, go...and then before I know it, Christmas has crept up on us and I look back and wonder what happened between July & December.

Yesterday, I was driving to work after dropping off the kids at their schools.  As I pulled away from the curb of the last school, I extended my arm to press the button to turn on the radio.  I love my morning music & worship time.  But then it struck me.  I never really slow down and embrace the quiet, so this time, I did just that.

I prayed.  I talked to myself.  (Shut up, you know you do it, too.)  I rolled down the windows, but only for a second before I realized it would mess up my hair.  I thought through the evening's events and what I would be cooking for dinner.  I mentally went through the day ahead at work.

I realized that, after just a few minutes, I felt anxious.  It was like I couldn't live with myself.  I needed to be doing something!  I needed to be feeding my brain with multiple stimuli.  I needed noise (music or conversation).

And this was all during a 20 minute drive to work.

I am really looking forward to Christmas.  You know, the big holiday that comes in 74 days.  I look forward to it not so much because of the holiday focus it brings (although I loveeee that, too) but because Spring comes right afterward.  And for me, Spring is looking much less frantic & busy!  Sure, there will be things to do & special dates on the calendar still, but not nearly as many as the Fall.  So with that in mind...

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way!

No comments: