Friday, January 2, 2015

In 2015, I will....

As a teen, a girlfriend of mine spent the night with me a couple years in a row on New Year's Eve.  We would sleep on the fold-out couch in my living room, giggling until midnight.  The first year, we wrote out resolutions & then went over to my fireplace & burned them, "sending them up to God".  It was one of my cheesy moments as a teen.  Trust me there were PLENTY of cheesy moments, but that one is a sweet memory.  Especially since that girlfriend is still one of my very best friends.


As an adult, I realize that making lists of ridiculous things I'll never keep up with is just silly.  I used to write them down every year, tuck them into a drawer or something and then promptly forget all about them until I found the list 8 or 9 months later & wondered "What is this dusty paper in my sock drawer for?"


So I've quit making resolutions.  Or at least I tell myself that.  I don't actually sit down & write out a list anymore.  But I think we all have moments late in December that make us look toward January 1st for a fresh start.  Maybe all those holiday treats tempted you & you thought to yourself "Oh well.  I'll start over on that diet January 1."  Or maybe you read an article about exercise and overall health and you pondered whether your gym membership had expired or not, reminding yourself that January would be a good time to start fresh.


I've done all the above.  But on Thursday, January 1st, we were out of town working on my father in law's property so breakfast came from the donut shop on the way there.  And dinner was Taco Bell on the way home.  Then today, January 2nd, we were back there working some more.  Meals were a little better today but I drank a soda mid-morning.  So I've already mentally decided that the 'diet' starts back on Monday when I go back to work and the kids go back to school.  How funny that only 2 days into the new year, those good plans have already been pushed back.

But here's the thing.  There are important things beyond diet and exercise that I've fallen short of in the past couple of years.  Those things are things I really strive to do better at, but I have let things get in the way.

One of those things is this blog.  In some ways, blogs are almost a thing of the past.  I used to read a million blogs on an almost daily basis.  (See the right side of this page.  That blogroll is LONG.)  But many of those authors have done like me, falling into the trap of social media.  Facebook, twitter, instagram...all those things that take a few seconds of time to update.  It's funny how I used to find myself mentally writing blog posts every day, but in the past couple years I find myself pulling out my phone & posting those same things to Facebook in a few minutes time vs. sitting down to type out a post here.


Another of those things is reading.  I've always loved to read, but a lot of things (including the aforementioned social media) have become a roadblock to that this past year as well.  I'm excited to have a whole stack of books I am going to read this year.  {And I'm sure I will add more to the stack along the way.}  I've already started this one and I am loving it so far.


Another thing I've gotten behind on is my personal devotional time.  I am getting started in a Bible study at church in a couple weeks and have a new daily devotional book that I'm enjoying.  Plus I have a daily Bible verse being emailed to me.  Between all of that, plus regular church services and time of reading my Bible on my own.  I am going to try to work out a way for Larry and I both, separately, to take a night away at some point this year to go somewhere & spend some time alone with God and our Bibles.  Privacy, quiet, peace and prayer time sounds like bliss!


Something else I intend to improve upon this year is the time I spend praying.  For my husband.  For my kids.  For my family.  For my friends.  For the community.  For the country.  You get the idea.


And last but definitely not least, I am looking forward to finding new ways for our family to give more.  To serve more.  To help more.  That will go on the prayer list --- for God to reveal ways for us to do those things!


Is there something you're trying to improve upon this year?  (It's okay.  We don't have to call them resolutions.)

No comments: