Friday, May 21, 2010

So long, friends

Another year has come & gone. I wanted to share a little about my friends at school.

This was my Monday/Wednesday/Friday class. One little guy was absent when we took this picture.


This was my Tuesday/Thursday class.


After opening boxes & bags, cards & candles, they all went home to embark upon a summer of adventures. I'm delighted to see them grow & mature & move on, but sad to see them go at the same time. I'm sure I'll see most of them again in the summer school program or when they return for the Fall, but they'll never be in my class again. I found this little poem/article/passage (not sure what to call it?) online & it sure fits the way I feel.

Dear Parents,

I give you back your child, the same child you confidently entrusted to my care last fall. I give him back pounds heavier, inches taller, months wiser, more responsible, and more mature than he was then.

Although he would have attained his growth in spite of me, it has been my pleasure and privilege to watch his personality unfold day by day and marvel at this splendid miracle of development.

I give him back reluctantly, for having spent nine months together in the narrow confines of a crowded classroom, we have grown close, have become a part of each other, and we shall always retain a little of each other.

We have lived, loved, laughed, played, studied, learned, and enriched our lives together this year. I wish it could go on indefinitely, but give him back I must. Take care of him, for he is precious.

Remember that I will always be interested in your child and his destiny, wherever he goes, whatever he does, whoever he becomes. His joys and sorrows I will always be happy to share. God bless you & your family as you move on.

***************************************

As I read this little letter above, I got tears in my eyes. I recognize that it's time for me to let go of all these little hands & watch them skip & dance away. And so, goodbye sweet friends. I love you all & will continue to keep your family in my prayers. Thank you for coming to play & learn with me this year.

No comments: