Sunday, August 11, 2013

Random Thoughts with Liz

 
I keep starting a new blog post, but then keep freezing up.  I've been blogging since early 2006 and there are times when I feel like I've said everything there is to say.  I mean, how many more ways can I say that I love my husband & kids & Jesus?

But I keep writing anyway.  I love to write and hopefully you're not sick of hearing about my family and my faith and whatever other random stuff I choose to write about just yet.  So with that said, here is the latest string of random thoughts with Liz.

*In late April, I started eating lower carb.  I didn't cut out ALL carbs (I refuse to give up some things, folks.  Let's just be real.)  It's been slow, but to date I've lost just shy of 12 pounds.  I'd love to see it move a lot faster, but it's coming off, so I'll keep at it.

*Being home for the summer makes the diet a little more difficult.  It's a lot easier to stay on track when I'm not at home (read: looking at the fridge) all day or running around with the kids (read: passing by fast food places that scream "Stop & get a drink.  You KNOW you're thirsty in this 110 degree heat!)  Things will get back on track later this month when I get back to work!

*In January, I returned to my old part-time job in our local school system.  We knew from day 1 that it couldn't be permanent.  After all, I left because I couldn't make enough money there, so obviously that hadn't changed.  By late January or early February, I was making contacts with all the other campuses in hopes to get hired full time this Fall.  Since then, I've applied and/or interviewed for EVERY job in the district that I am qualified for.  Nothing worked out.  So the first week of August, I accepted a full time position in a neighboring town's school system.  It'll be a bit of a drive, but it's full time and there is a lot of room for raises and moving up.  {Honestly, it's not THAT FAR of a drive, but anything more than the 4-5 minute commute I've had since 2010 feels like a long drive.  I know, I know...I can hear a thousand tiny violins playing for me.}

*I am looking at the calendar & realizing we are already over eight months into the year.  That means there are only 4 months left 'til Christmas.  No matter how much stress or hoopla is connected to the commercialized version of Christmas we all see every year, it's still a favorite time of year for me!  I love the special 'magic' that is connected to the holiday season!  Plus I refuse to celebrate the hoopla!

*My babies are starting school two weeks from tomorrow.  7th, 8th and 12th grades this year.  Shut up.  They're still my babies even if they are in junior high & high school.

*We visited 2 colleges with Savannah last week.  One is local.  The other is about 90 minutes away & costs a lot more, but is SUCH A GOOD FIT for her.  Guess which one she's hoping to attend?  I think the next 12 months of my life is going to include a million hours of scholarship applications and websites searching for free college money!  If we can pull it off, she will be living there and attending school there next year.  But first, let's get through her senior year of high school.  I have a lot of tears to cry between now & Fall 2014.

*I've seen so much growth in Samuel lately.  Between his desire to go to the youth Bible study group and his feelings about Savannah moving away to college next year and his tender, sweet side emerging from the shell of adolescent growling and griping, I love it.  Lord, please let it continue.

*I know none of the kids are grown ups just yet, but once in a while I get a vision of their maturity and am amazed.  Somehow we haven't completely screwed them up with our crazy parenting just yet.  Only by the grace of God....

*A dear friend moved halfway across the country this week.  It's a weird thing because this friend & I mostly only talked via email, text, Facebook messages anyway, even though we lived in the same town.  So really, not much will change for us, but somehow it feels different.  Miss you already, friend!

*We had ice cream sundaes for dinner last night.  No veggies in sight, but I did include some strawberry sauce so everyone got some fruit!  ha!

*Here are some cool/fun/good stuff on the web that I came across in the past couple weeks for your reading/watching pleasure.  Enjoy!

1st:  This cute video has me coming back over & over.  I've watched it a dozen times.


2nd:  Every time I read anything that Jen Hatmaker blogs about, I feel like we're best friends or sisters or next door neighbors or something.  Seriously, how can you not love her?  Enjoy this little gem.  It's lengthy, but so funny!  http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2013/06/27/that-time-i-was-on-the-today-show

3rd:  I just discovered this blog a few days ago.  Girlfriends, THIS POST is the bomb.  If you're a mama, you'll recognize yourself.  http://livingingraceland.com/2013/08/05/taking-off-the-mask/

4th:  Holy hallelujah.  If you're in full time vocational ministry or know someone who is or if you used to be, you will love this.  We're about 4 1/2 years removed from full time ministry, but I read most of this blog post with tears in my eyes.  I recognized every word.  I saw truth from start to finish.  Wow.  http://marklovefurniture.com/blog/2013/07/06/eleven-things-you-might-not-understand-about-your-minister/

5th:  Are there people who are actually this dumb?  Hilarious!


Have a great week!

No comments: