Friday, October 13, 2006

Fri Oct 13

This week has been very full, to say the least.  Let me see if I can explain.
On Saturday of last week, Andrew had a 9:00 soccer game & then we left for Elkhart.  We visited with Larry's parents and then made a trip to the jail to visit G.  We took in the camera & took a pic of the kids with G before the guard came in to tell us that we had to put away the camera (oops!).  Want to see?  Email me!
Sunday was a regular busy day---church much of the day.
On Monday, Larry had an appointment with a neurosurgeon for his back.  After many years (about 20!) of struggling with back problems, it's finally reached the point of him needing surgery.  Dr. G is touted to be "the" doctor in this area if you have to have back surgery.  We were blessed that we were able to get in so quickly as most people have to wait much longer to get in.  We were told by several people that Dr. G would NOT recommend surgery if he didn't *really* believe that you need it.  When he walked in, he explained to Larry that he'd extensively reviewed his records & he believed that surgery would help him most of all.  And so, on Oct 27th, Larry will have a lower lumbar disc fusion.  Of the 3 surgical options available to him, this one carries the fewest risks, has the best recovery & success rate and seems to be the one that will help him most.  We're not sure of the surgery time yet, but I will update the journal when we know.  That weekend, the kids will stay with all the grandparents so that I can be available to Larry there at the hospital for the longest period of time possible.  Heck, it'll be like a date for us!  :)  LOL!  Seriously, though, your prayers for a smooth surgery & quick recovery is appreciated.
Tuesday afternoon....oh....that's my crazy afternoon over here.  With all 5 having homework on Tuesdays, it's a hectic few hours.  We pushed through homework time & just got everyone in bed!
Wednesday I had lunch with a good friend (Hi Stacey!) & was thoroughly stuffed until late that evening.  Yum!  TGI Friday's has awesome food!  That evening, the singles group went to play Bingo with the people at a retirement home.  It is really a lot of fun because the group there makes it so enjoyable for us.  One sweet man, Red, holds a sweet spot in my heart.  He's a diabetic veteran who's had both legs amputated at the knee.  I'm not sure if it was the diabetes or war that did that...but anyway....  He is a jokester & reminds me so much of my dad.  Always making us laugh, telling funny stories about his life.  Thank you, Red, for sharing your kindness with us!
I worked on Thursday & spent the greatest part of the evening bringing in & sorting through all of the kids' winter clothes.  We have got 7 giant storage tubs in our bedroom at this moment, piled high with all of the clothes that will fit the kids this winter.  Aside from a few gaps, they've got their fall/winter wardrobes all ready!  I'm going to spend much of the day tomorrow going through their drawers & closets getting out all the super-summery stuff.  I know that we will still have warm weather off & on through mid-November, but since we're having some cooler mornings & a cold front here & there, I think it's time to get this stuff out & available.  Sigh....that'll be a big job!!
Today was Kourtney & Sarah's field trip to the zoo.  I went as a chaperone & had such a fun time.  It's interesting to watch your own children interacting with other kids & parents.  I love seeing how they behave when I'm not there (because sooner or later, they all forget that I'm watching & start being silly with the rest of their class!).  I have lots of pictures of Sarah's group.  Kourtney's class had plenty of parents there, so I stayed with Sarah's group.  We only had about 5 parents with us.  If you want to see those pictures, email me!
Here's a sweet story....on Thursday night when I was getting out all the winter clothes, Andrew watched, wide-eyed as I opened his box.  When they moved in last February, we had a ton of clothing donations from friends & family who wanted to do something tangible to help.  His box was filled nearly to the top with clothes for him to grow into & the off-season stuff we packed away in the spring.  As he watched me pull out armfulls of clothes for him, he grinned from ear to ear, shocked at how much he had.  He'd squeal like a girl every time I pulled out something he had forgotten from last spring or something that he thought was new.  He finally spoke & said "So....when I was born, you & Uncle Larry bought me all these clothes for when I was 8 & stored them for me all this time???"  He was dead serious.  I giggled at the idea of us buying an entire winter wardrobe for him at birth & storing it til now....but I had to hug him too.  I figure he's never had this many clothes at one time before & is just astounded at the piles.  Honestly, his pile was the smallest of all the kids', but he was amazed none the less.  These clothes were a double blessing---once back in February when we got them & again last night when he "discovered" them for the first time.  To all of you who donated clothes for the kids, thank you!!  We appreciate everything you gave!
Halloween is coming up, quickly followed by Kourtney's birthday!  She says she wants to have a party at McDonald's, so I guess that's what we'll be doing this year.  I am ready!  Time to buy some party invitations & get that planned, I guess.  Want to come eat bad cake & listen to a bunch of 5 & 6 yr old's scream?  :)
For Halloween, we've got all the costumes bought & ready.  Savannah is going to be a Barbie pumpkin fairy/princess.  (No, I didn't know there was such a thing either.  Here, this is it:  BARBIE~PUMPKIN FAIRY~Halloween COSTUME~M 8/10~Cute!)  Andrew is going to be The Thing from the Fantastic 4.  Samuel will be the Hulk.  (Just typing that makes me giggle...you'll see why when I share the pictures of them in their costumes!!)  Kourtney is going to be a lady bug & Sarah is going to be Strawberry Shortcake.  I can't wait to take them to the carnival & get lots of candy!!!  It'll be fun!!!!
I better run.  Please email & update me on you and yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally would have been a Barbie Pumpkin Fairy if they'd had it when I was a kiddo   :)    They will all be so cute, can't wait to see the pics    :)
~ Amanda