Saturday, October 21, 2006

Saturday Oct 21--Fun day!

This morning at 9:00, Andrew had a soccer game.  When we got done, we planned to go pick up Larry's glasses and get Sarah & Kourtney's hair cut.  It turns out that the glasses place had about a million people waiting in line at the time, so I left Larry there & took the kids to the hair place.  When we got back, he was done.  I needed to go to the bathroom, so we pulled up at Ken's Pizza & I was going to run in to use their restroom when Larry announced "Let's just stay & have lunch."  Everyone let out a big 'hooray!' since this was a nice surprise!  While we were eating, Larry got on the phone & called someone.  I wondered who he'd dialed b/c he'd been sitting quietly listening the entire time...never speaking.  When he hung up, curiosity was killing me, so I asked who he called.  He was calling to check the time for a movie!!  When we left the pizza place, we surprised the kids for a 2nd time today by going to see "Open Season".  We all enjoyed it.  It's rated PG & I can see why...there are quite a few questionable jokes, but luckily they went right over the kids' heads and the storyline to the movie was very sweet, so it was a good movie for all of us.  I think it would've been equally great if they'd taken out the questionable stuff & given it a G rating though!

When we got home, we were all sleepy, so we took an hour's down time & we all took a nap, then it was back to work!  :)  We're trying to get all the laundry & daily housework caught up so that we won't have anything waiting for me after Larry's surgery.

Tonight I made this soup for supper & it was SOOOO good.  Only Andrew & Savannah really liked it (of the kids, that is), but if your family likes Mexican food, they'll enjoy it!

Mexican Black & White Bean Soup
 
1 T. vegetable oil (I used olive)
1 c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced (I used 1T. of the kind in a jar)
1/4 c. flour
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
2 c. milk
14oz can chicken broth
16oz pkg frozen corn
15.5oz can black beans, drained
15.5oz can great northern beans, drained
4oz can diced green chilies (I didn't have one, so I left this out, but I bet it would be good!)
2 T. chopped cilantro (I used dried b/c I didn't have fresh)
 
Heat oil in a large soup pot over med-hi heat.  Add onion & garlic, cook until onion is tender.  Stir in flour & taco seasoning mix; gradually stir in milk until blended.  Add remaining ingredients except cilantro.  Bring to a boil, stirring often.  Reduce heat to low, simmer 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Turn off heat & stir in cilantro.
 
I sprinkled a little shredded cheese on top of each bowl just before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum i will have to try this we love different soups

Deb