Friday, February 9, 2007

goodbyes

I was talking to Kourtney this week about the 1 year anniversary of her mom's death (Saturday, Feb 10th).  We talked about her last memories of her mom.  Sadly, she doesn't have a "last" memory.  I asked her if she remembered what went on at home the last night her mom was alive, or that final morning before getting on the school bus.  She's was barely 5 at the time, so she doesn't remember.  I asked her about her favorite (other) memories of her mom.  She looked like she was thinking real hard & finally asked if she could go look at the pictures in her memory box (where I keep her baby book, baby pictures, etc).  Bless her heart, she never saw it coming.  She didn't realize that the morning of the wreck would be the last time she'd see her mom before she died.
 
"goodnight"....that's the last thing I said to Lisa.  Less than 24 hours later, my friend was dead.  How I wish that final conversation was something poignant, life-changing, breathtaking.  But it wasn't.  I didn't know that would be our last conversation.
 
But do any of us?  Do we really wrap ourselves around the people around us?  Do we make sure that they know that they know that they know we love them?  I mean, there are a lot of people I care about in my life, but do they all really know I love them & am here for them?  Do we make sure & give a hug when it's needed (or even when it's not)?  Do we give our friends & loved ones a kiss when we're near them?  Do we tell them how much they mean to us as often as we can?  Have I done what I can to make sure that those near me know how much I care should I not make it til morning?
 
I hope so.
 
And if you didn't know it before, now you do.  :)  I love you.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great entry and so true you never know.

Deb

Anonymous said...


  This is exactly why I always try to hug you and all the kids every time we see each other.  You just never know if and when it may be your last time to have the opportunity.  I love all of you soooo much.
                                 Mom

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you guys this weekend.

I know it's a hard one. Not many people have to face two losses that big in less than a day's time. You are handling it beautifully.

~Amanda