Wednesday, May 27, 2009

a little progress, maybe?

Last night, I took Nyquil before I climbed into bed about 11:30. I got out my book, got all propped up on a thousand pillows...and began to cough. I told myself (& Larry, who is so very loving & patient--and losing sleep because I'm coughing so much!) that I needed to give the medicine a little time to kick in. I layed there for another 45 minutes trying to read, but mostly coughing, before I gave up & went to the recliner in the living room. I took my pillow & water bottle and got cozy. I coughed a few dozen more times before I dozed off, upright. Like a miracle, I slept til about 4:30am when I woke up coughing. I guess the medicine had worn off by then. I took some Robitussin, went potty & got back in the chair & dozed back off to sleep til the alarm went off at 6:15. Although I got a TON more sleep than I had the previous night, I was feeling pretty awful this morning.

Larry talked about all sorts of worst-case scenarios because, well... I'm not a good patient. I told him I couldn't take a break today, I had things to do. I couldn't possibly lay down & sleep this morning because, after all, I'm a mom. The world would end if I took a nap right? After some serious discussion, Larry convinced me to take a swig of Samuel's Capital (Tylenol w/ Codeine) that he was given after his tubes surgery a few weeks ago. He never took a single dose so we've got a big ol' bottle of it just sitting here. Knowing that a doc would give me cough syrup with codeine, he knew this would help. Only thing is....it was dosed for a 50 lb nine year old. And umm....I'm neither of those. He should've taken 3/4 tsp. I'm such a lightweight where medicine is concerned (because I take so little medicine--ever!). I took 1 tsp & it knocked me out! I slept for 3 hours and I really only got up then because the alarm went off. That entire time, I was horizontal on our bed (not upright in the recliner!) and I didn't cough a single time! I felt lots better when I woke up, even had some energy! Larry's told me that I *will* take more of that at bedtime tonight. I tend to agree!

Cross your fingers that I am able to sleep tonight! It sure would be good if I could!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Cough syrup with Codeine is the only thing that quiets my coughs. Treat it like liquid gold! I bet you'll sleep great!