Saturday, October 3, 2009

my grand day of excitement

This morning, I picked up Sarah at a friend's house where she spent the night last night. This little girl is the daughter of a lady I grew up with. We were pretty good friends all my growing up years & now our kids are best friends. It's really neat to see that friendship progress. They went to a local indoor water park, had pizza, made jewelry & watched movies til the wee hours. That's Sarah in the back & Madison in the front on one of the slides at the waterpark.


As we drove to their house, Samuel leaned his seat back, dozed a little and coughed a few times. On the way home, he leaned back again & actually fell asleep completely. By the time we got home, he was coughing more & had a little fever. He came in, crawled into my bed & zonked out again. Before he did, I asked him if anything hurt. He said he had a bad headache, so I gave him some Tylenol. Larry & I decided that it would be best to go ahead & take him to the doctor considering that the flu is running rampant around here lately, so after I ate some lunch (Samuel said he wasn't hungry & didn't want to wake up enough to eat some), I loaded him up & went to spend the next 3 1/2 hours sitting in the urgent care waiting room and the pharmacy. By the time we got home, we had 2 prescriptions (antibiotic & cough stuff) for our sickly kiddo. He does not have the flu after all (thank goodness) but it's a non-specific respiratory infection of some kind. His ears, nose, throat & lungs were all clear, but the flu test was negative. We know it's in there somewhere because he's coughing & it's a wet/productive sounding one, even if it hasn't progressed into his lungs.

While we were at the doctor's office, Samuel decided he was hungry. The Tylenol had kicked in, his fever was down & he was feeling better. They had vending machines but all the cash I had on me was 2 nickels. The cheapest thing in the machine was 60 cents. Whoops. One phone call & it was Daddy to the rescue. He drove up there & brought us a few dollars in cash plus a handful of packages of peanut butter crackers. What a guy! (poor thing...he was trying to take a nap when I called & asked for a rescue!) I was amazed at the number of people in this office...and the number of healthy-looking children who were climbing the walls, giggling & squealing, running back & forth across the length of the waiting room. Umm...if your child is that healthy, why would you bring them to this place where all the sick people are coughing & breathing on them? yuck! One family was even wearing masks. Probably not a bad idea, actually! One poor baby girl was having a hard time breathing & after hearing a few coughs I realized she had a pretty nasty case of croup. She ended up leaving the clinic in an ambulance. I don't know her name, but she was a little Hispanic baby girl, maybe about 15-18 months old. I'm sure her family would appreciate your prayers. I was happy to get out of that office when we did. No more sickie germs to stew in!

When Samuel's Tylenol wore off this evening, the fever crept back up & his headache returned, so it looks like the antibiotic isn't quite there yet, but we'll keep hanging in there & waiting. As long as he had medicine in him, he did ok & didn't seem quite so yucky. I'm hoping that tomorrow he'll be able to skip the Tylenol/Ibuprofen altogether, but we'll see. If he doesn't stay fever-free, he'll have to stay home from school on Monday.

We came home this evening & filled our tummies with some gourmet (ha!) Totino's pizzas. I taught all three kids to play Farkle on Facebook & they fell in love w/ the game, so I'm on the lookout for a boxed game version we can have here at home now.

:::yawn::: So there's my day. See? I told you it was exciting.

No comments: