Saturday, December 12, 2009

Don't ya hate it when....

This morning, at just about straight up 8:00, Savannah came in & said "Samuel's on the couch. He's got fever." I got up & went to the living room & found him laying there with no shirt on & a thermometer sticking out from his armpit. It read 98-point-something, so he may've had 1 degree of fever, but considering that he was shirtless in a cold house, I thought his body temp may've risen a tad to heat him up! He didn't go to bed feeling sick and he didn't FEEL warm to the touch at that moment, so I said "nah....you're ok". My kids tend to be fever-phobic & I constantly find them taking their own temperature just for fun. If it ever crosses the 99 degree mark, they think they're dying. Don't get me wrong. I do take fevers seriously if they actually look sick or have any other symptom of illness, but if you've been running & playing and irritating your siblings all day long and your temperature is 1/2 a degree above normal, I do NOT worry about it. Anyway...I gave Samuel a dose of Motrin just to be safe & went back to bed where I was actually able to sleep a little longer. By the time I got up, he was JUST FINE & stayed that way ALL day long.

We went to Hobby Lobby today & got some things for a school project he's turning in on Monday and came home to watch a little TV & eat lunch before heading back out for our evening activities. Samuel was totally fine all day long. The only thing that was slightly 'off' was that he never ate lunch. He kept saying that he wasn't hungry. I didn't force the issue because he always has a teeny appetite, so I just figured he'd eat later.

Tonight, my brand new niece sang at a little BBQ restaurant in town. We went to hear her. Samuel was less than enthusiastic about going, which usually leads to moping, so when he said that his throat hurt, I blew him off. He has a habit of being overly dramatic & can fake a symptom like nobody's business, so until I see ACTUAL signs of an illness (fever, vomitting, diarrhea, etc), I tend to blow him off a lot. I know...it sounds bad, but really, he's a great actor.

We had appetizers (chips & queso for the kids) and he ate that just fine. He had already slurped down an entire soda before the food arrived at the table, so it was no shock that he didn't want to eat supper---he'd already filled up on chips & coke! I think he ate 1 chicken strip before I finally called him to me (he was at the other end of the table). He had on his coat still, so I made him take it off so I could figure out whether he was running fever...he felt a little warm. Sure enough, after having his coat off for several minutes, his cheeks were red, his ears were turning red & he was warm all over. By the time we got home & I took his temp it was 101.9! He went to bed with another dose of Motrin.

:::Sigh::: I've called a sub to teach my SS class in the morning. Looks like I'll be hanging out at the after hours doc office instead. I'll step onto the podium now & accept my bad mother award.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

oh, don't worry, you don't deserve the bad mommy award for that. Any of us other mothers would have done the same thing. I let my first baby "cry it out" in her crib one time so I could be more stubborn than her and get her to go to sleep on her own and when she stopped crying, I went in to check on her and her leg was stuck in the bars at an awkward angle and she had finally cried herself to sleep like that. I felt like the worst mom in the world and I will never forget that day. I learned A LOT. :) I don't know why I just told you all that LOL!!! I am just glad your story didn't end with him vomiting all over the place where you were, for some reason I was anticipating that happening. I hope he is ok!!