Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Book Review: You Can Be Everything God Wants You to Be by Max Lucado


As my regular blog readers know, I participate in Book Sneeze (see right hand side bar for the Book Sneeze button where you can learn more). I received this book months ago. I really have enjoyed reading it, but to be honest, it's been hard for me to finish it due to the nature of the type of book it is. I love pretty much anything by Max Lucado, so I felt like this would be a highly enjoyable book. I didn't realize, when selecting this book to review, that the book is a gift book sort meant for high school (or maybe college) graduates. Considering that it's been nearly 20 years since I graduated, this book was clearly not written with me as the primary audience.

The book's theme centers around the uniqueness of every individual and the potential God has in store for each of us. There are many chapters in this small book and each one is an encouraging short devotional-type of read. I found that there were, what seemed to be, excerpts from some of Mr. Lucado's other books. Or perhaps the material was similar in nature & it just "felt" like a repeat of some of his other books. There aren't any references to his other titles, though, so a first time Lucado reader might not see this.

The book was hard for me to finish reading because I am not in a season of my life where it applies to me. If I had a child or a friend who was graduating, however, I would recommend the book. The mini-chapters are easy, quick reads.

No comments: