Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Giving Honor Where Honor is Due

A couple of days ago, I posted to Facebook about how I'd played my husband some motivational music while he got ready for work. As he pulled on his bullet proof vest & gun belt and strapped on his handcuffs & flashlight, I serenaded him (well, youtube did anyway!) with Salt N Pepa's "What a Man", the theme song to the TV show COPS and Bonnie Tyler's 80s hit "I Need a Hero". Larry left the house grinning, feeling loved & pumped up to do his job. One of my friends commented about my song choices. I told her that I had to give honor where honor is due.

You see, over the years, my sweetie has held lots of jobs. Ultimately every one of them has been a service to others. I swear this man must be made of something pretty special. When we met in 1992, he was in college. He was a volunteer firefighter on the weekends while attending school to get his Criminal Justice degree & his Paramedic certification. He had a dream of one day attending seminary to become a preacher as well. Over the course of the last 20 years, he has spent a lot of time in the back of an ambulance, driving a patrol car and perfecting his skills as an investigator. In 2005, he graduated from seminary & was hired by a local church where he served for 4 1/2 years as a pastor. He's been back in the law enforcement field for the past couple of years. One day when the kids are grown & moved out, we may go back into full time ministry, but until then, we are just taking things one day at a time, serving where God has placed us for this season of life.

Sometimes I look at my husband & just sigh. He is amazing! People don't really understand what goes on in the life of a giver like him. There isn't a moment of the day when he isn't focused on someone else. Whether he is at home helping with one of the kids, lending a hand with our son's Scout group, investigating a case at work, or praying with someone over the phone, he is perpetually finding a way to serve.

So yes, I played him a few songs to build him up on the way out the door as he headed in to work. But it's the least I could do for this man who I am so very proud of. When you are lucky enough to be married to a guy like this, you've gotta give honor where honor is due!

1 comment:

Candice said...

Awww! Larry is one lucky guy!