Tuesday, November 20, 2012

November 20: Today I am grateful for...



I've lost track of what I've said I'm thankful for & what I haven't.  Tonight I just want to share a story with you from yesterday.  I have much to be thankful for.

Monday November 19th:

Early this morning, the church finance secretary called me.  She said there were several boxes of food with my name on them at the church office.  She didn't know where they came from, but she wanted to work out a time for me to come pick them up.  I couldn't imagine WHY someone was giving us this, but said thank you & told her I'd be there this afternoon to pick it up.

An hour later, my boss called me in to tell me that I'm losing my job in 6 weeks.  He was so very apologetic.  He's accepted another job elsewhere, so as of January 1st my job ends.  Talk about being stunned.  I think I just sat there & grinned like an idiot and tried to figure out what would happen next.  But while I was sitting on the couch in his office hearing this news, I couldn't help but think "God knew this was going to happen.  He provided groceries before I even knew!"

When I left the office to drive home, I fell apart.  I sobbed, I cried, I prayed.  The windshield and windows heard me begging God to provide...somehow.  When I finally reached a place where I could sort of breathe again, I started singing.  I didn't think of it on my own...it was all God.  And what did He give me?  "Great is Thy Faithfulness!"  Even as I sang it, I warred against singing those words because I wanted to be all angry & frustrated...but I couldn't forget His faithfulness to us, even in my fear and sadness.  I am SO grateful that I've spent years tucking away Scripture, singing hymns and praise songs with such great truths hidden in them.  Today it was not ME but the Spirit who sang that song all the way to my house from my office.  By the time I reached home, I was at peace.  Still devastated & scared to death no doubt, but at peace.

I picked up the kids from school and we made the trip to the church office to pick up the groceries.  I had considered sharing all of the food with a friend who runs a nonprofit to collect groceries for families in need, but we decided to keep 99% of it after learning the job news today (and there was so much that I can't even fit 1 more tiny thing into my pantry!)  When we got home & started unloading the boxes, I found a little piece of grace tucked between the cans & boxes.  A sizable gift card to Walmart was in there, too!!

He provides before we ever even know there is a need, friends.



Great is His faithfulness.  Morning by morning new mercies I see.  All I have needed, His hand has provided.  Great is His faithfulness.


No comments: