Saturday, September 22, 2007

Updates

I'm sorry that I am going so long in between updates.  I wasn't prepared for everything that comes with working 5 days a week I guess.  If I'm at home, I'm playing catch up on housework or cooking supper or something during the week.  On the weekends, I'm too tired to do much of anything.  I know it's just a matter of adjusting & it's getting there, but boy... I haven't done this in years and it's hard to get back into the routine I guess.  The last several years I've only worked 2 days/week, so moving to 5 days/week has been interesting.

I'm still really loving my job.  The money isn't the greatest, but the work itself & the hours are.  I guess most teachers don't make a whole lot, though, so I guess that's no big NEWS to anyone.  ha ha!  My co-workers are fabulous & the kids I'm working with are precious.  The school is divided into 13 (or 14?) classrooms.  There is one Kindergarten class & two or three Pre-K classes.  The rest of us are preschool for 2 & 3 year olds.  I have kids who are turning 3 this Fall, so they're all "almost" 3.  Most of my kids have birthdays in Sept-Nov, so they're 3 the majority of the school year.  I love what I do!  I might one day go to working w/ the PreK kids at the (public) school, for now I'm happy where I am.

Savannah is loving all that 6th grade brings.  She is having fun in band & is doing quite well w/ her horn.  I'm actually beginning to hear some notes that sound musical these days.  She still has plenty of "moose" noise going on, but it's beginning to sound like it should.

Samuel is doing well in 2nd grade.  He is not a big fan of reading or anything that has to do with language & I'm beginning to wonder about dyslexia with him.  Since it definately runs in our family, I'm keeping an eye on him.  His handwriting is AWFUL, spelling is worse.  He can read pretty well once he gets "into" it but he has no desire to do it on his own.  I thought that as he got a little older, that would all get easier for him, but instead it's just a continued struggle.  I'm still wondering if this is just an area he'll always have to work extra hard at to make the grade or if there is really some sort of problem.  This page describes Samuel to a "T":  http://www.dys-add.com/symptoms.html  (well, about 85% of it anyway)  I'm sending an email to the awesome dyslexia lab teacher that helped Andrew.  She works at Samuel's school in the mornings, so I'm going to get her to evaluate him & see what she thinks.  Other than that, he's doing fine.  He loves school & enjoys playing with his friends and all the other things that being in 2nd grade brings.

Sarah is doing great.  Her teacher tells me that she is very polite & sweet at school and always finishes her work quickly.  Most of this first six weeks is a review, so maybe once they hit new material she'll be a little more challenged.  For now, she's just having fun!  While she isn't doing anything extracurricular after school, she enjoys our little Shady Lane social group (as Larry & I call it) every day.  It's so cute to see all the bigger girls (mostly all about 8-11 years old) playing with her like she's a big kid.  They're all really good girls, so I'm not worried about her being negatively influenced.

All in all, life is good.  We're so richly blessed in so many ways!  God has His hands in our life and it's obvious every day.  I'm so grateful for my life & my family!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!! Now to find some time to read, huh?? :)

Anonymous said...

glad all are ok and doing well:)

Deb