Saturday, September 1, 2007

I had the best of intentions, really....

I told Larry last night that I'd fold all our laundry today.  Really, I planned to.  But then....

I woke up to Sarah playing on the computer at the foot of the bed.  It was sorta late, but it was so nice to sleep in a little bit!  She saw Larry & I starting to move & quickly pounced on us with her pink blankie.  (I love that she still has the soft little Carter's blanket that she used as a baby...so sweet!)  She told us to wait while she made our breakfast, so we looked at each other & decided to see what it was she was up to.  In a couple minutes, she emerged with 2 little saucers full of mini-donuts.  I bought donuts for the kids to eat for breakfast & apparently she decided that we needed to eat ALL the leftovers.  ha ha!  :)  We dutifully got up & ate donuts til we couldn't stand any more & thanked her for her sweet gesture!  I got up & declared that I was off to fold the laundry.  That's when Larry reminded me that we had a swing set to assemble & set in concrete today.  Hmm....ok.  So I'll do the laundry after that.

We headed to hardware store.  After gathering the needed supplies for swingset assembly, we headed back home to put together this massive wooden thing we inherited from some friends whose son has outgrown it.  After spending the entire morning & early afternoon in the yard, we got the swingset into the holes, concrete poured & covered the concrete with dirt, surely it was time for me to fold the laundry.

Wait...you people want lunch?  Well, ok.  I hunted & gathered some frozen pizzas & served the nutritious delicacy to my family for lunch & then headed for the baskets. 

To my chagrin, my husband needed help cutting some limbs off trees in the yard, so out I went to hold the ladder & drag limbs with my sweetheart.  When we were done, the kids needed to have some rest time & Larry had some other manly outdoorsy work to do, so I headed inside to direct my offspring to their resting areas.  I quickly checked my email before letting Savannah get online (her favorite rest-time activity).  When I left my bedroom (where the computer is), I spotted the Avon box that was delivered yesterday.  Had to call mom about her order and wouldn't ya know that we ended up talking for 30 minutes.  By the time we hung up & I vacuumed the living room & started the dishwasher, it was nearly 5:30pm.  My darling hubby came in to ask for more help outside.  I helped him hook up the trailer to his truck & off he went to drop off limbs & sticks & twigs at my parents' house (they have a big burning pile we add stuff like that to).

When I walked in, someone again mentioned hunger and I realized that it was time to cook dinner.  I pulled out meat & threw it in the microwave to defrost, at about the same moment one of the kids reminded me that we needed to go to the dollar store for heir three $1 items to swap at church tomorrow.  Oh boy!  We really did need to get those before the Dollar General closed, so out the door we went with our partially defrosted meat waiting in the microwave.  ha ha!  It was still a pretty solid brick of ground venison when we left, so I knew that it would be safely thawing while we were gone, sealed away in the microwave so no germs (or flies!) could get to it.  We got our 3 items & came back home within half an hour.

I gathered up the other ingredients for my casserole and prepared it.  I still had to bake for 35 minutes, so while it baked, I pondered what veggie I'd put with it.  Being the undiagnosed A.D.D. patient that I am, somewhere between green beans & a salad, I remembered the laundry.  Ugh...it still wasn't even touched!  I went and started a load of laundry & got the kids to bring me their baskets from their bedrooms.  After sorting it all & starting a load, I headed back to the kitchen where I saw that the dishes needed to be taken out of the dishwasher & the others in the sink needed to be loaded.  Check!  Got that done real quick. 

Oh wait, I never figured out my veggie.  BEEP!  (that is my timer going off, telling me that the casserole is done)  CLICK  (that's my front door closing as Larry entered the house, back from his trip to drop off the limbs & sticks & twigs on the burn pile)  FLICKER!  (that's the lightbulb over my head as I got an idea!)  I pulled out the spinach/artichoke dip I got at the grocery store last night & paired it with some whole wheat crackers (2-3 per plate) and called it our vegetable!  It counts, right?

We all sat down & ate supper.  Afterwards, I sent the kids to start taking showers.  Larry andI talked for a little while.  It wasn't long til it was the kids' bedtime.  I made rounds tucking them in & headed to the kitchen where I realized that the dishes were still sitting there from supper.  Recognizing that Larry was then in the shower & the dishes wouldn't clean themselves up, I set about my domestic task of cleaning up the kitchen.

Somehow I'm drawing a complete blank of whatever I did between now & then, but let me tell ya.....I'm tired.  It's 10pm and there is no way I'm starting to fold all that laundry now.  Ya know why?  Because I usually fold it on my bed!  I'm tired.  I'm going to finish this up, take my shower & pass out here in a minute.

I guess that just goes to show that no matter how good your intentions are, being a wife & a mom is a 24 hour a day job that never ends.  Sometimes other things are more important and get in the way of the everyday tasks like folding the week's laundry.  (Yes, it's nearly a week's worth!)  Ya know, Monday is Labor Day so our church isn't having services tomorrow night.  Looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow evening.  Hmm....sounds like I'll be having my Labor Day one day early.  :)

It never ends, does it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would be telling Larry that you NEED help with folding the laundry after all that yard work you did...lol  Sounds like a busy but good day!

Anonymous said...

LOL you know what sometimes our laundry never makes it to fold or hangers we pull it right from the dryer LOL enjoy your weekend

Deb