Friday, August 31, 2007

end of the first week of school

Our first week of school is coming to an end.  We will all be off on Monday (Labor Day).  Here's a summary of our first week.

Savannah has a teacher I had in 4th grade for language arts.  Her reading teacher is the mom of a good friend.  I spent many nights at her house as a kid.  Her science teacher is the mom of another of my childhood friends, one I also spent lots of time with when we were little.  Her math teacher is a lady I recognize, but don't really KNOW.  She went to the church I went to as a kid.  She only has a couple of teachers I don't personally know and they seem to all be wonderful so far.  This year she has her first male teacher & says that it's kind of cool to have a guy for a teacher.  She is still really happy about having her first locker & doing the class switching thing.  All is well in Savannahland.  :)

Samuel's teacher and the one across the hall from him have united & decided that if we ever need a babysitter, they're going to offer their homes.  (I tell ya...this kid is a charmer!)  They both walk him to the car (together!) every afternoon, always giggling about something funny he's said or done during the day.  I hope they continue to love him this much all year!  He is enjoying school so far.  We'll see if he still likes it next week when the homework starts!  Anyone else have a 2nd grade boy who never shuts up?  I thought it was just girls who talk 24 hours a day, but apparently my son doesn't have an "off" switch either!  This morning after I dropped off Savannah, I sat & listened to him talk (to no one in particular) as he described EVERY (yes, every single one!) car that drove past us.  "There's a red one.  It's shiny.  Look at that silver one.  I see a black truck, and a green van."  I finally had to ask who he was talking to.  He just laughed & said "I SEE A SILVER ONE!".  I looked out the window & didn't see a silver car anywhere, so I asked him where.  He laughed again & said "We're in it!".  Geez....boys!  I swear he fits the old sign I saw at my sister's house.  "A boy is a noise with dirt on it."

Sarah is loving first grade, too.  I wish I had more news to share about her, but there isn't really much to say.  She goes to school grinning & skipping and comes out looking pretty much the same.  She's doing great according to her teacher.  I'm going to go eat lunch with her today!

My first week was eventful.  I got to meet all but one of my kiddos at Open House.  Not sure what happened to the last one.  Maybe they forgot or were out of town or something?  The director's calling this weekend to see what's up.  I hope they didn't change their mind about going to preschool.  But I guess if they did, I'll have a new kiddo next week to replace her.  I'm anxious to get started!!!  :)

Tonight is Family Movie Night at church, so we'll do that.  Can't wait!  Love hanging out with my little family.  I have a great one.  I'm so blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a good first week...my kids go back on Wednesday!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great first week:) enjoy your weekend

Deb

Anonymous said...


  I thought it was that boys are "A skin stretched over an appetite".  Maybe they are both.  I just know this one is a monkey, and a cuddly one at that.  Not that Grandma has noticed or anything.  
                            Lovin' your little family too!    Mom