Saturday, August 4, 2007

A million thoughts in one post!

First topic: death of 2 local firemen

Yesterday morning, our community lost 2 great men.  Both of them are the family members of friends of ours.  Austin Cheek, 19, and Kevin Williams, 42, were fighting a fire & lost their lives.  Both were members of a volunteer fire department.  Austin is the nephew of one my dearest friends and Kevin is the son of friends from our old church.  We are shocked & blown away by their great loss.  The whole community is grieving their deaths.  Please join us in prayers for these two families.  Their funerals are early this week, hopefully before we leave town on vacation.  I really want to be there for both funerals.

2nd topic:  update on yesterday's big oops

We went to mom & dad's tonight to borrow all their maps of the California to Texas drive we'll be making next week.  It looks like it'll be about a 1500 mile trip & we have to drive it in 3 days.  Larry HAS TO be at work Wednesday morning so we MUST be home by late Tuesday night.  Ouch...that's 500 miles a day.  Oh boy.

Let me just be honest here.  I'm not a big fan of long drives (even less of a fan if I am the one driving, but thankfully Larry will do most of this drive).  Road trips always sound fun in theory or on movies, but put me in a car/van/truck/whatever for a long day of driving and I'm usually clawing at the doorknob to get OUT.  I'm not clausterphobic exactly....but I just hate to SIT for so long.  It makes me a little nutty.  I am doing my best to be positive & excited about this opportunity to spend time with my kids and hubby and get to see new parts of the country I've never seen before, but I'm really dreading 3 days in a car.  I need some "alone time" to keep my sanity.  Hmm....I think I'll pack some bubble bath for those late evenings in the hotels along the way.  Please pray for an uneventful drive home with lots of laughter & giggles and fun along the way!

3rd topic: funny of the day

Today we were playing a Bible Pictionary sort of game.  Larry was drawing a duck as part of some picture & after it was drawn, he said "Oops!  I forgot to put the wing on it".  Somehow I heard "I forgot to put the weiner on it."  My eyes bugged out & my jaw hit the table as I asked him WHY he would say that.  After we cleared up the misunderstanding, everyone cracked up.  We haven't all laughed that hard in a while.  We've teased each other all day about the duck missing its weiner.  LOL!  The kids are old enough to "get" the misunderstanding, and they all think it's really funny that mommy thought that's what daddy said.  (Of course, we don't normally discuss things like this so that makes it even more giggle-producing for them.)

4th topic:  God is good!

For a long time, every time someone asked what my 'dream vacation' is, I've said "to take my family to Disneyworld".  I didn't know how we'd ever pull it off ($$$$!) but hoped that one day we'd figure it out.  I realize we're not headed to FL, but Disneyland is the "original" Disney & I'm sure it'll be great too!  I can't wait to see the looks on the kids' faces and to enjoy the magic of Disneyland w/ my family!  God is good to work all this out for us!!!

No comments: