Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I love teaching

This weekend I was given a 2nd copy of the book 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny by Phillip Done. I love this book, so I passed my 2nd copy onto the 3rd grade teacher that 2 of my 3 kids have had. I hope she enjoys it, too. Having had that copy pass through my hands made me want to go dig out & re-read mine. So I did! I'm not quite done with it yet, but I am loving the book all over again. Just a glimpse of what I love---

from the back cover
I take slivers out of fingers & bad sports out of steal the bacon.
I know when a child has gum in his mouth even when he is not chewing.
I know the magic word.
I plan lessons while shaving, showering, driving, eating & sleeping.
I wear four leaf clovers & dandelions in my shirt pocket that have been picked with love at recess.
I correct pencil grips and spelling mistakes and bad manners.
I pray for snow days.
I hope April Fool's Day is on a Saturday this year.
I answer to both "mom" and "dad".
I hate glitter.
I leave "shugar" and "vilets" misspelled on Valentine cards.
I call on children whose hands are not raised.
I know that "colonel" is a really hard word to read and so is "doubt".
I know when a child does not understand.
I know when a child needs help finding a friend.
I am a teacher.

There are SO many sweet parts of this book. I'll share more as I go along, but right now I need to take off & get finished readying myself for work & hit the door.

As you read this today, remember my dad who is having back surgery. He had a spinal fusion surgery a couple of years ago (same surgery Larry had in '06) and today they're going back in to remove some of the hardware that is really bothering him. It should be a pretty simple surgery, but of course there is always a risk of complications. Please pray for a simple, straight forward surgery with no problems. I know he'd appreciate your thoughts & prayers.

2 comments:

Living the G life! said...

I'm here so now I can comment on your post!! :) How is your dad doing? Also loved the back of the book that you read , so sweet!

Candice said...

Hope your Dad is doing well, Liz.