Sunday, January 31, 2010

My sweet Sarah

For close to a week now, my sweet baby girl has been coughing. It's mostly been at night & during the early hours of the day. That tells me that her sinuses are draining & it's tickling her throat at night and it's pooled in her throat during the morning hours. We've been doing her preventative steroid (asthma) inhaler in the morning & evening, taking a dose of her allergy nasal spray in the morning & evening, taking Robitussin both morning & evening and doing a sinus wash in the morning & evening as well. We've begun running the humidifier at night in her room & she's sleeping with Vicks Vaporub on her chest & feet at night. I mean, seriously....what more can we do? She's been hanging in there...not really getting better, but not getting worse either. It's going around at school (both her school and mine!) so I'm sure she's fighting off whatever everyone else is dealing with.

Last night, about 11:45pm she woke up crying that her left ear hurt. Poor sweetie. I took her temperature & it was 99.4. She was wearing flannel PJs & had been in her bed with a humidifier steaming up her room, so I didn't count that as a fever. I gave her a dose of Motrin & some Benadryl and she came to bed with me where she cuddled up & slept til 2:30am. (That's when she woke up & went back to her bed.) This morning she was OK. Still the same coughing that has been going on all week, but she wasn't having the ear pain. Throughout the day, she commented about pressure in her ear...not really pain, however. (She said that it kind of hurt in her ear when she burped! ha ha) And she described feeling like a bubble was popping in her ear. Sounds to me like there is fluid in there & she's feeling the pressure from that.

I'm crossing my fingers that she can sleep all night & that she'll feel great in the morning, but I kind of suspect that we're going to end up in the doctor's office before this is all over. I've really been trying to treat her symptoms & let her immune system kick this, but I'm beginning to have my doubts as it drags into the 5th or 6th day. Say a prayer for my sweet baby girl, ok?

1 comment:

The Lowry Place said...

How is sarah feeling better I hope. Is she just loving her new ears?