Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Tues/Wed Oct 31 & Nov 1

I didn't realize that I didn't update yesterday, so let me see if I can fill you in on the past 2 days:

Tues Oct 31--- This is what I wrote to a friend:    "...At the moment, he's really stiff so getting up or down is veryyyyyy hard, but once he's up or down, he's ok.  We got out & walked down our street a little ways a couple times today.  He has to use a walker & goes reallllyyyy slow, but he's moving.  Last night was hard.  He woke up every couple of hours w/ a spasm.  He can't turn over by himself or do much of anything alone (read: go potty, take a shower, get dressed....anything), so I really can't leave him alone for very long at all.  I'm going to take the kids to the Halloween carnival tonight but plan to only stay gone a very short time."

Oct 31 PM--- Took the kids to the Halloween carnival @ the church where I grew up & where I work.  They had a ball & got a TON of candy.  We were all cold, though, as the temp dropped 10-15 degrees tonight & the wind began to blow.  Brrrrr!  It's kind of neat to have a cold Halloween!  (Don't worry, I won't get used to it, though....by next week, it'll be A/C & sweat weather again probably!)

Nov. 1--- Today was a little wacky.  The nighttime muscle spasms continue for Larry.  Last night was pretty rough.  He did OK from about 11:45 (when he went to bed) til 2am.  From 2am til after 6am, he woke up about once per hour having a violent muscle spasm.  When that happens, he screams & makes this suddent jerking movement all over, which means an elbow/knee/foot is bound to hit me & the screaming wakes me up.  Not that I'm complaining...but it's hard.  We're not sleeping much at night, but trying to make up for it by napping during the day when I can get him comfortably settled into the recliner & I can stretch out on the couch.

Larry did make some progress during the day, though.  At 1:00, the school called to tell me that Kourtney was in the nurse's office with 102.4 fever!  I told them it might take me a little while to get Larry settled in, but that I would come get her.  At about 1:35 or 1:40, I finally reached the school (it's 2 miles away).  I called the pediatrician before I left the house & said "Please have mercy on me & help!  Three out of my five kids have had strep throat in the past 2 weeks.  The school just called me about #4.  She's in the office w/ fever & a headache/sore throat.  Chances are, she's got strep too.  My husband just came home from the hospital after having back surgery & I can't leave him alone at home for most than just a short time.  Can you call something in for me???".  The nurse seemed stunned by all the information, but said she'd check w/ the doc & call me back.  A few minutes later, she called back & confirmed that she'd call something in.  At 5:45 when I called the pharmacy, they still had not received a Rx from the doc, so I had to call the nurse line back to get that done.  Kourtney & I picked up her med tonight while the other kids were at church.

Back to Larry---when the school called, he was determined to go with me to get Kourtney, so I got him dressed & loaded him into the van too.  We picked up Kourtney & then realized that we were both hungry!  We'd never eaten lunch.  We went to Sonic & got lunch (& a chocolate shake for Kourtney!).  By that time, it didn't make sense to go home & unload everything (including Larry) when I'd be leaving again soon, so we just went for a drive.  We drove out to the lake...or rather, the big hole where the lake should be....and looked at the low water level.  We went to pick up the kids then & came home to a friend from church arriving w/ supper.  (Thank you Cary!)

Although I know it's not a huge step it was a big deal for us--- later tonight, Larry was able to stay home alone long enough for me to take the kids to church (I was gone for about 2 hours).  He couldn't get up or move while I was gone, but I got him settled in before I left & put his cell phone nearby just in case.  I took Kourtney with me to get a couple of things at Walmart & pick up her medicine before we went back for the others.

Tomorrow we will hvae a "helper" home from school w/ us, so please pray that the night goes more smoothly & we aren't both so exhausted (& in need of naps!) tomorrow so we can enjoy having Kourtney home.

Thanks for your continued prayers & support.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

keeping you all in my prayers:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,
 If Larry continues the muscle spasms, check with the doctor about a muscle relaxer. That will help a great deal.
 I have allergic reations to most medications, and get these painful muscle spasms too, they are almost unbearable. But the muscle relaxer really helps a bunch. {{hugs}} & prayers for all.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

HI Liz... when I had my foot surgery I had lots of muscle spasms in my foot..it hurt a lot so I can only imagine how Larry's must feel in the back..  I will pray that they calm down now...  Sorry little Kourtney is sick now but that was nice of the doctor to just call in the meds...