Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I've finally figured it out....

...I'm a memory maker.

Ok, so while you scratch your head & wonder what on earth I'm talking about, let me explain.  Tonight I was reading my good buddy, Alyssa's, blog.  She & I met nearly a decade ago in an online mom's group.  She now has 5 kids (for a few more months anyway!!).  She has a really cool blog with tons of pictures.  She's a photographer at heart, but also is a wife/mom/homeschooling teacher, oh and by the way she's an RN too, but has been taking some time off from that career since her oldest was born in '97.  Anyway, she has this great blog that I check daily because I love her dearly & love reading about her family & seeing her awesome pics.  Tonight while checking it, I saw a link to another blog she reads.  I figured, if Alyssa enjoys this other person's blog, I ought to take a peek too.  And lo and behold....I did!

Alyssa's other mom friend (the blog author) talked about how her father had been the 'memory maker' in her family.  He threw caution to the wind & always made sure that holidays & other special days in their family's lives were ones that would be remembered forever.  She talked about how she herself was not a memory maker.  She takes delight in organizing a closet, making a chore chart, keeping order & calm in her home.  She basically said these two are at opposing ends of things.  She talked about how she rarely let her kids paint or play with playdough or glitter because of the mess they made.  She must preferred quiet, non-messy play.

After reading that, it hit me.  I'm a "memory maker".  I find myself thinking up great traditions & new things for the kids to do all the time.  Things that will create lasting memories, things they will take into adulthood.  I love to paint & do messy art projects with them.  I love to take tons of pictures and watch movies with them.  My house is rarely ever spotless.  We thrive in clutter.  I guess that's what us "memory maker" types do.  I've been told that teachers are usually the most disorganized, clutter-driven people....and that most definately holds true for me.

Whew.....I'm glad we finally have a title for it.  And it sounds nice, too.  I like "memory maker" much better than "disorganized slob".  LOL

No comments: