Thursday, December 6, 2007

Why I love this time of year....

I love driving down the streets & highways at this time of year and smelling the burning leaves and the smoke coming from chimneys.  I know, it's a weird little quirk of mine, but I it signals cooler weather...and I love cold weather!

I love going for a drive later in the evening with my windows down & feeling the cold air on my face, looking at the twinkle of Christmas lights and hearing the chirp of crickets.

I love hot chocolate & apple cider.

I love snuggling under a big soft, fluffy blanket.

I love seeing little kids in thick coats & mittens.  I love the way their cheeks get pink when you go outside in the cold weather.  Around here, cold weather triggers lots of giggles and laughter because our kids are so excited for it to get cold...maybe it'll snow!!!  (yeah right, that never happens....)

I love fudge & candy that is only made at Christmastime.  I love pumpkin pie and all the yummy veggies that go along w/ the turkey & ham at family dinners.  I love those rolls...ya know, the brown & serve things that you can only find during the holiday season.  YUM

I love eggnog & Christmas music & decorating the tree.

I love wrapping presents & then watching my kids shake them in wonder, trying to figure out what's inside.  And then I love watching them on Christmas morning as they open the gifts & discover the treasure inside.

I love the drive-through Christmas programs at the local churches and the special music performed in worship services.  I love watching the children clamber onto the stage to sing 'Away in a Manger' while wearing their Christmas sweaters and beautiful velvet dresses.

Ah yes....I love this time of year!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay Liz..I think you have lost it or it just doesn't get cold in Texas like it does every where else.. I hate hate hate cold weather..  I don't mind a pretty snow 1 time a year and then it can go away...lol