Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thurs March 5

This past week, my heart has been so very burdened for a good friend of mine. I have watched my friend walk through the darkest days of her life, make unbelievable decisions, go through horrible circumstances. And I've been blessed with a herd of faithful prayer warriors who have lifted her up alongside me. For all of you who got the thousand emails this week, thank you. (not only for praying but also for not deleting the emails---I know there were tons as each new day brought new info)

There are times like this when I long for a way to help. While I can't possibly take away the grief she is going through, I can look for little things I can do to make her burden easier. Can I bring you dinner? Can I babysit your daughter? Can I water your plants, walk your dog, wash your car? I know those things don't even BEGIN to measure up to the horrible sadness you're going through, but maybe they will lighten your load. Give me a project & I'm on it. Even if that means getting up at 4am to help with something!

I remember all the things people did for us when Andrew & Kourtney moved out. I was amazed & touched by the way the body of Christ pulled together to help us. Meals, fun distractions for all of us, books, prayers, movie tickets ....the list is long. I remember the emails & phone calls & people who stopped by with special treats for the kids. I remember all the prayers & kind words. Those are the things that got us through the initial grief & pain. Of course, in time, it was God who got us through the big obstacles, but there at first, it was the awesome support system of friends & family.

Don't ever underestimate the power of a small gesture for a family going through a hard time. It doesn't matter if it's a tiny thing, it will be appreciated by a family who is focused on surviving the next 5 minutes...the next hour...

God bless!

No comments: