Saturday, March 7, 2009

New Living Room Furniture!

In 1997, Larry, Savannah & I were living in a teeny little apartment in Tyler, TX when we decided it was time for us to purchase our first new furniture together. We'd been married 3 years by that time, but everything we had was hand-me-down stuff from a relative or friend. Wait... his mom bought us our dining table/chairs for a wedding gift, so that we new, but everything else was second hand. We really wanted coordinating living room furniture because we had UGLY stuff that looked about a hundred years old. Off we went to Southside Furniture Co. where we browsed & purchased the cheapest couch & loveseat we could find. I think we paid about $700 for the set. It barely fit into our little apartment, but it's been moved umpteen times since then, lived through 5 kids & has served us well. For a couple years now, we've been eyeballing the ripping cushion seams & the stains and the beat up pillows thinking that it was time for something new. However, a lack of funds has been an issue. (Isn't that always how it goes?)

About a month ago, my parents started talking about getting a new couch & asked us if we'd like to take their couch & loveseat when they found something. We immediately said YES! Sure, it means going back to secondhand stuff, but ya know what......it's FREE and it looks a lot newer & nicer than our stuff!!

Earlier this week, they bought a pretty new couch & let us know that it was 'time'. I listed our stuff on Freecycle & within 24 hours it was spoken for & picked up by the new owners. Today we got our new furniture. I'm so pleased!!!
This is our old living room set:

And the new stuff:

What do you think?

6 comments:

SandyL said...

I think it looks great...like a totally new living room.. I need a new couch too but am waiting until our dog goes... Even if stuff is used it can be nice.. We bought an Entertainment Center and 32 inch tv from my sil for $150 and I LOVE It!

Lisa said...

I love it! It's nice to change things up every once in a while! =)

Unknown said...

sure makes the place look so different!!! Looks great!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Oh how fun!! Yeah for you! I like the new look.

Kelley said...

Very nice!!

Anonymous said...

It looks really nice. How fun to get new to you furniture !!