Saturday, March 14, 2009

Good bye, Spring Break!


Our week of Spring Break is drawing to a close. We had great plans for relaxing & refreshing, but most of our plans got rained out. Monday was nice. Tuesday may've been ok, but honestly I don't recall much about the weather that day because I spent the whole day in & out of different doctors' offices. Sometime during the evening Tuesday, it began to rain and the temperature dropped. I don't think it stopped raining til late last night. Somehow, it just doesn't seem like Spring Break if it's in the 30s/40s & raining all week. Blech!


I took advantage of Monday (while Samuel was still gone to spend the night with a friend) to clean out his toy box & the area on top of it. It went from this (outside/inside)



to this:



I know...it's still not perfect, but we got rid of a big garbage bag full of stuff & were able to clear a small path to walk. Trust me, that's progress.

We had hoped to meet a friend at the park on Tuesday, but ended up having to cancel due to Samuel's arm problem. (which, I might add, seems to be miraculously healed as of earlier today!!!)

Wednesday afternoon, we took my mom & dad supper. Mom had surgery on a bone spur on her foot Tuesday and is recovering well.

Thursday, all three kids & I had our teeth cleaned and then went to the store for Samuel to pick out a new pocket knife (purchased with his own money). I think that Walmart carries about 64 types. Trust me, we saw each one individually. Thank goodness the guy at the counter was bored & had nothing else to do and was so sweetly patient with my little Cub Scout. Thank you to the kind 25 year old Grizzly Adams-looking fellow working at the sporting goods counter!

Friday, we went to the store & picked out Easter dresses for the girls & a new shirt/tie for Samuel. In the pouring rain. We were stir crazy & had nothing better to do & I figured while I had them all home & had time to do it, we might as well. Before we left, I got all three kids an umbrella too. I really want a new golf umbrella--those big gigantic things that a small village can fit under but they were $12 & I couldn't justify buying that if all the kids had a smallish umbrella of their own now. As soon as my current umbrella gives up the ghost, I will get a new big one!
We had planned to go camping last night but again...the rain made that impossible (or at least unbearable--we cancelled the reservation earlier this week). Why bother driving out to a neat little cabin & be stuck sitting inside the thing? We can do that at home. For free.

Today we took our crew to see Paul Blart: Mall Cop. It was a really funny movie. The whole family liked it. There were a few words that could've been editted out, but thankfully the kids pretty much missed all that. The ones they did hear were not repeated when they began the after-movie playback of the entire movie's script. (ok, are my kids the only ones who do that? surely not!)
Here's a trailer I found in case you haven't heard of the movie.



My parents came over for a visit this afternoon. When they left, Larry pulled his truck into the backyard to change his oil. One snag. Remember all that rain I mentioned? Yeah, well....that makes for not-so-good conditions in our low-lying flat backyard. He sunk. Up to the hub caps. And there was no getting him out. His Xterra sits kind of high & our tiny little 8 yr old boy could walk up & touch the top of the passenger side window if that tells you anything. yuck! After a few phone calls to my brother in law who has a 4 wheel drive, he remembered a friend who lives one street over that owns a wench truck. Hallelujah! Jay to the rescue! He pulled him out of the mud & out of the yard!! Thank goodness!! After that whole mess, Larry was in no mood to change the oil & decided to put that off til tomorrow afternoon. I don't blame him.
Instead, he came inside & we had a hot dog supper followed by a family game of Clue. I had the best time teaching all of them (even Larry) how to play a game I learned to play as a kid. As it turns out, it was that crazy Colonel Mustard. You know you can't trust that guy in the library with a wrench. ha ha!
And so, our Spring Break ends and a new week begins.

I will miss sleeping til 9:00 (or later) every day, but summer is only 10 weeks away!

1 comment:

SandyL said...

Gosh so much info on this blog.. I can't wait to hear how your moms surgery goes afterwards cause I am dealing with spurs too and surgery maybe a step..

YAY on Samuels arm being better..woo hoooo

Normally when its Spring Break around here it rains a lot too :(