Thursday, June 7, 2012

Book Review: Constantly Craving by Marilyn Meberg


For many years now I have attended a local Women of Faith event with great anticipation of hearing one of my favorite speakers, Marilyn Meberg. The first time I went to one of the WOF conferences, I saw her in the line up of speakers & convinced myself that I wouldn't enjoy her talks. I don't know why, but she just didn't have "the look". She looked more uptight or serious or reserved or something. With all the other ladies being so silly & fun, I suspected that Ms. Meberg's talks would be more serious, less likely to make me laugh.

Boy was I wrong!!!

Marilyn Meberg became one of my favorite speakers at the very first event I attended. She is a psychologist by trade, but she really should take on a job as a stand up comic. Ms. Meberg is able to make you laugh, cry, gasp in shock, and look inward with such great depth that you see things in yourself you had no idea existed. All in one talk. She is both intelligent and hilarious, and her love for the Word of God is apparent.

And so, when Booksneeze offered a book by Marilyn Meberg, I jumped at the chance to review it! (Booksneeze.com offers free books to bloggers in return for reviews on their blog sites.) I was sent a copy of her latest book, Constantly Craving, last month. It has proved to be just as fabulous as all of Ms. Meberg's talks at the Women of Faith events I so dearly love.

Constantly Craving focuses on the way we, as human beings are constantly on a search for more. It discusses at length the psychological & spirital reasons and implications why we all have this habit. It is about the way these cravings for more, better, newer, nicer (etc, etc, etc) always leaves us empty & searching, never completely satisfied.

Ms. Meberg discusses cravings in life in regards to romance, marriage, contentment, happiness, friendships, time management, and more. She points out that Eve wanted "more" than what God created for her (perfection in the garden) -- and we all have tried to crawl back toward that perfection ever since. We all have an "itch" for something more that is out there, although we don't really know what it is we're craving.

I would definitely recommend this book. It is not a light-hearted read, however, so if you're looking for a pleasure read, this might not be your book. This one is for introspection, studying and spending a lot of time thinking through the chapters Ms. Meberg so expertly created. If that's the kind of book you're looking for, you will really enjoy this one!

No comments: