Saturday, October 20, 2007

random stuff

This is one random post....lots of various topics here.

Topic #1:  They like me, they really like me!

I love it.....our neighbor kids all like me.  I love that all the kids like to come visit my kids, but even more awesome that they also come to talk to ME!  I was telling Larry this very thing tonight when the doorbell rang.  It was a neighbor girl---coming to talk to me!  Talk about good timing for that conversation.  He just grinned when I went out to stand on the porch & talk to her.  He knows that I eat that up!  It ended up that she wanted to tell me about her babysitting & camping experience last night.  This same little girl found me on myspace several months ago & added me as her friend.

Another of the girls (a year younger than Savannah) frequently shows up in the yard when the kids are playing just to talk.  She'll still go off & play, but she almost always comes back to talk to me.

The only other boy on our street (who is 13 or 14) comes by to play with Samuel all the time (which is tooooo stinkin' cute b/c it makes Samuel feel like a REALLY big kid!), but he always wants me to come outside & watch him do skateboard tricks & bike tricks.

Tonight, the little girl across the street was sitting in her driveway looking through their mail while I was talking to the little girl above (the one telling me about camping this weekend).  The girl across the street came running over & shoved a piece of paper in my hands & said "I can't believe they're doing this to us!  It's just so awful.  I'm so embarassed."  I quickly scanned the paper & realized it was a letter to her parents from the school explaining the puberty/sex education video they'd be showing next week.  The parents have to sign & return it to give her permission to see it.  Anyway, I thought it was cool how she ran over to show ME this letter, as if she considers me a friend, not just her friends' mom.

A lot of the little girls on the street are madly in love with my nephew, who is their age, so I hear about how wonderful he is frequently.  Tooooo cute.

I have always told Larry that I wished to be the sort of mom who made her own children, as well as others, comfortable enough to come talk to about anything.  I'm so excited to see that is a wish that is coming true.

Topic #2:  Cute Sarah-ism

I ran to the store this afternoon & took Sarah with me.  When we came out, a man had just pulled up & left his car running (not such a wise thing to do, but whatever...).  Sarah looked at it & said "MOM!  He left the cranker on.  He's going to run out of gas like that."  I loved that.  The cranker, huh?

Topic #3:  I actually won something!

On the Brookshire's ad last week, they mentioned a web game.  I checked the site & started playing the game daily.  It's set up like a slot machine where you click on a "spin" button to spin the wheel & then click another one to stop it.  If you hit a "jackpot" you can win anything from a $10 gift card to a year's worth of free groceries.  Today I won a $50 gift card!!!!!!!!  I was so excited!

After reading through the rules, it says they won't mail out the gift cards until "8-10 weeks after the promotion ends".  I had to giggle b/c the game ends the 2nd week of November, meaning I won't actually SEE that gift card til January or later!  Oh well, that's ok!  It'll be a nice blessing whenever it arrives!!!  Maybe by then I will have forgotten about it & it'll just be a nice surprise to have it show up in the mail!

Topic #...well, whatever number I'm up to!

Just wanted to say...for the record....I'm LOVING my cable internet!!!!  It is sooo neat to be able to sit down to view a website & actually get there w/ the page fully loaded in less than...oh, say 15 minutes.  :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its great that the neighbor kids talk to you.. A lot of kids now adays won't talk to their parents..and these kids NEED someone to talk too..  My children are really open about things and tell me things I sometimes don't want to know..lol

Congrats on winning the gift card.. Hey you might be able to buy another Karen Kingsbury book!

Anonymous said...

I love kids too and love talking and spending time with tweens and teens...I miss the girls from our church a whole bunch and love that they keep in touch with me through myspace :) Sarah's comment was too cute...I love when the kids say cute things like that...Chris and I where at Wal-mart one day and I told him to go get some milk out of the cooler and he came back and showed me the date and said "Look Mom!! This one isnt due back untill the 20th!!!" HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Always makes my heart melt...love reading your stuff girl!!

Anonymous said...

I love my cable too...everthing else seems so slow!
Becky