Tuesday, February 10, 2009

3 years ago today (part 2)

Yes I realize that yesterday's post had this same title.
But three years ago TODAY was awful, too.
Two days in a row, less than 24 hours apart, I lost 2 people. (and in turn, gained 2 more)

You see, 3 years ago today, my brother in law was drinking & driving and had a wreck, killing his wife in the process. Larry & I were sent to the hospital to check on her condition & found that she had just passed away shortly before we arrived. In the most surreal situation of my adult life, I went in with my husband & some of the pastors from our church to identify our sister in law, sign paperwork to allow the funeral home to retrieve her body. We called family members to let them know that Kelly had died. And we came to realize that we would be adding 2 children to our family. You see, just a few months before her death, Kelly had asked Larry & I if we would consent to taking her children & raising them if something were to happen to her. We agreed, but never dreamed it would ever happen.

I was still mourning my sweet Lisa's death from the day before.....and here I was trying to swallow the fact that another important person was gone. Kelly & I didn't have a real close relationship, but we emailed frequently & always talked during family get togethers. She was a sweet lady and while I am sad she's gone, I'm most sad that her children will grow up without her.

Eight days after her death, A&K moved in with us. It's hard to believe that it's been 3 years now.

2 comments:

:o) Rachel said...

Wow, I can't believe it has been three years, either! I remember your first MOMYS post and reading some of your first blog entries on AOL, listing the things you needed (or maybe the things you got - I can't remember). I wasn't able to physically help, but I prayed for all of you when I read your posts and when the Lord brought you to mind. It is amazing that God knew what was going to happen those 24 hours (and the months/year afterward) and He walked with you each step of the way. In our weakness, He is strong!! Praise Him!

Amanda said...

Wow. I had forgotten that these things happened two days in a row. So sad. ((((More HUGS))))