Monday, February 9, 2009

3 years ago today

I've been trying not to think about it all day. But I can't erase the impression of that day. You see, three years ago, one of my best friends died. I have lots of really close friends, but few earn the right to be called "best" friends in my book. Lisa was one of those.

Lisa was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 38 weeks pregnant with her son, Aaron. The OB immediately induced labor & got Aaron delivered so that they could start treatment. For most of Aaron's first year of life, Lisa was in & out of the hospital, trying to beat this nasty disease. She went into remission only to relapse shortly after Aaron's 1st birthday. This time the fight was more brutal. She had a bone marrow transplant after chemo & radiation. She faught long & hard and again went into remission. With leukemia, you're never considered to be "cured", but as far as the doctors could tell, Lisa had won the battle against leukemia by late 2005. While cancer wasn't her daily battle any longer, all the lasting effects of chemo & radiation & multiple surgeries strained her body to the limit. She took a handful of maintenance drugs every day to keep her body functioning. She was doing well, although some days feeling more miserable than others. And then it happened. On the morning of 2/9/06, she went to the ER with a septic infection & a clot in her leg. Her body could not handle the strain any longer & Lisa went to Heaven about 4:30 that afternoon, leaving behind her three young children & beloved husband. Lisa had just turned 30 one month before.

Sweet Lisa, you will never be forgotten. I love ya girl & miss you so very much. I know you're resting in Jesus's arms today, but I sure wish you could be here for one more conversation, one more hug. See you when I get there!

5 comments:

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

That is terrible! It is great that she is not sick anymore, but my mom also died from cancer. She had been in remission, and quite suddenly took a terrible turn. She died one week after finding out she had metastatic liver cancer. Again, I am so glad she is not suffering anymore, but it is so hard sometimes without her.

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry, hon. That is so hard. ((((HUGS))))

Kelley said...

Hard to believe it has been three years. I sent her a card once with a bunch of paper-punched lizards for good luck. Just ran across a few spare lizards in the craft drawer. Made me smile and think of her.

SandyL said...

Sniff..I had forgotten this was the month...Can't believe its been 3 years..I was thinking 2..but I do think of her everytime I go through my receipe folder and see her name on a receipe.

Bethany said...

I can't believe it's been 3 years! I will never, ever forget her or those days. I'm glad you finally heard from the kids!