Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Church-going update and tonight's big event

After visiting our old-old church on Sunday (see previous post if you don't know what I'm referring to!), Larry & I left feeling quite positive about our experience, even though we didn't get to see much. We felt very welcomed and enjoyed the reunion that we had with old friends. We left feeling like we could see ourselves sticking around there. As we talked to the kids, no one had a particular strong feeling about it one way or the other (minus Samuel who would not have been happy anywhere). The girls were OK and enjoyed things, but they weren't leaping from their seats begging to go back either. It was just "alright".

As the days have passed, we've gotten little bits & pieces of comments from them here & there and we're realizing that we may have pushed to visit that particular church because Larry & I loved it so much. You see, we wanted to go back for all the relationships we had there. The kids, however, were so young when we left that they remember something about the buildings...but not the people. I've watched tears fall in the past couple days because they've told me "we don't know anyone there!". Truth be told, there aren't a lot of kids from our school district at that church...so they really don't know anyone. My heart's been sad that the church we love so much might not be the right one for us anymore.

Larry & I talked this afternoon. We did have 1 other church in mind to visit. It's right here in town, 5 minutes from home. He visited there once last summer when we were on vacation & couldn't go to our own church. He loved it that one day, but the rest of us have never been there.

Pros:
1. It's SO close to home.
2. It's here in our little small town, so there are bound to be tons of kids from our kids' schools there and that would certainly make it easier for them to feel comfortable.
3. Samuel's teacher goes to this church!
4. Larry knows the pastor personally & feels comfortable with him.
5. They have the same Royal Rangers/Missionettes program on Wed nights that Samuel & Sarah are used to, so they could make a pretty smooth transition from our old church to a new one. They loved these programs & I think it would make the transition easier for them to have something 'familiar' to go to right off the bat.
6. I've been told great things about the youth group there.

Cons:
1. I've never been there & don't really like change. Comfort & ease of transition are a big thing for me. (I know.....boohoo, get over it.)

And so, tomorrow night, we're going to visit the local church instead. Say a prayer that it goes well for us!

On to tonight's event!
Savannah was inducted into the National Junior Honor Society. I think Larry & I were more excited for her than she was. She just sort of endured the ceremony tonight. I was really impressed with the lengthy list of projects the group's sponsor talked about during the program & am excited to see Savannah get involved! Blood drives, toys bought for needy kids at Christmas, teacher & principal appreciation days, backpacks for needy kids...the list was long. Anyway, I think it'll be a great thing for her and once she gets involved, I think she'll really enjoy it. Here are the pictures I took.
This is the whole group of 7th graders who were inducted tonight.
Here is Savannah, shaking hands with the Principal to receive her certificate of induction.
...and coming back to her seat.
Savannah & her proud Daddy after the program.
Savannah & my niece, who was also inducted tonight.
We're so proud of you, baby girl!!! Way to go!

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Let us know how it goes. I've been interested in that church since the new staff came there. It sounds like they have a good thing going on. Best wishes!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Well, as much as I would LOVE to have you at our church... I COMPLETELY understand your decision. God has a time and place and specific purpose for everything. You had a time and purpose there, once, but maybe not now. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue to search for the church home God has prepared for you, for this time and place.