Saturday, July 4, 2009

Words are so very powerful!

Last night, Larry got an email from an old friend of his from his hometown. Floyd is a preacher. Years ago, Larry became friends with Floyd's family. While Larry was in seminary, Floyd let him come preach at his church a couple times. Floyd's daughter, Kristi, is Larry's age +/- a year or two (can't remember exactly). The two of them were friends in high school & have kept in touch via email over the years. When Andrew & Kourtney moved in with us a couple of years ago & I started this blog, Kristi got the link to the blog & started reading. Every now and then, she has posted a comment, but I didn't realize she ever read it religiously...or that she still reads it. (actually I'm kinda stunned that anyone reads my blog on a regular basis, so the ones who've been reading for 3 years are extra special!)

Last night's email was an invitation to get together with Floyd and his wife and Kristi & her kids today for lunch. We spotted them driving up at the restaurant today & got excited for the reunion ahead. When they approached us, Kristi's eyes lit up & she said something like "I feel like I'm meeting a celebrity!". She was grinning from ear to ear when she hugged me. Wow. She was talking about ME. I was surprised by her statement because I feel NOTHING like a celebrity. I'm just a goofy east Texas girl with a blog. Throughout the lunch (we stayed for 3 1/2 hours!), she repeatedly said things that touched me & blessed my socks off. Before we left, she told Larry he was lucky to have married me, stated that she was honored to have met me and then she looked at me & said "If I learn just a few things from you, I'll be a blessed woman." I thanked her, probably blushed til I was beet red and walked out shocked. I think you could've knocked me over with a feather.

You see, when I type posts on here, I am certainly not doing it to inspire someone or teach something. I do it because I love to write. I jokingly refer to this blog as my 'brain dump'. Whatever is left at the end of the day gets poured out here. I think in words. I read an article recently about a lady who was having a conversation with her little boy. Her son asked her about whether she thinks in pictures or numbers. She had to tell him "neither". She said that she thinks in words. That struck me because I, too, think in words. I talk to myself almost constantly all day long (that is, when I'm not talking to someone else). In fact, I only get online to keep from annoying my poor husband to death. If I get on here & talk to someone else, it gives his ears a break. ha ha! I walk through my days constantly thinking of new blog posts & stories that could come out of whatever crazy situation I'm in at the moment.

I have spent the afternoon wondering what Kristi sees in me, through this blog, that inspires her...what has touched her. Wow. High words of praise, I tell ya. I am unbelievably moved & humbled by her sweet comments. (Loads of cyber hugs & kisses coming your way, Kristi!!)

Over the past several months I've found myself "nudging" Larry to praise me for doing this or that, "hinting" for compliments when I've done my hair & make up some special way. I never realized it before, but apparently "words of adoration" is one of my love languages. (If you don't know yours, read the Five Love Languages book--it can truly transform your marriage & relationships in general.)

And so, because of the sweet glow I've felt all day, I wanted to take this time to point to some women who inspire me through their blogs. These women come from all different walks of life and live all around the globe. Some have been through unspeakable tragedy. Some I know in real life, but many I do not. Some share almost identical lifestyles with me, others don't. But one thing holds true about all of these women. Their WORDS, those powerful little tidbits that flow from their fingertips as they post on their blogs, move me. They push me to seek HIM more. They inspire me, they lift me up. They make me laugh. They move me to tears. They force me to my knees. I am so grateful for these beautiful women and for the technology of the internet that brings us all together.

Ladies, my hats are off to you!

First, there is Candice. She is the younger sister of Larry's best friend from his teen years. She sang Steven Curtis Chapman's "I Will Be There" in our wedding. There is Ruth who taught an abstinence program when I was at youth camp and all these years later, she still points me to Jesus with her words. Then there's Terri who God dropped in my lap a few years ago in Samuel's 1st grade classroom. Her family moved into the district & her daughter was in Samuel's class. We've been friends ever since, even when she moved 1/2 way across the country. There is Angie S. who, well....I can't even explain how deeply her words have impacted me. Through a horrible loss in her life, she's pointed to God & has left a legacy with thousands of people who read her blog & see the Heavenly Father in her words every day. And our private emails do the same thing! She's awesome. Susie's life & ministry & heart shows in every one of her posts....and she's got some beautiful kids! I met Ivy online in 2003 when her son, Luke, was in his final months of living with a brain tumor. Marlo's beautiful spirit & dedication to the Lord has lived on past the pain of losing her precious daughter, Anna Jane, to cancer as well. Patrice's son has a rare skin disorder and she still points out all the things she is grateful for & blessed by on a regular basis. JMom, a mother of triplets, has such a great blog where she shares her 3 little ones' lives. She is a sweetheart. April & her husband are in the process of adopting their first little one, Harrison. I can't wait to see the pictures of him when he arrives in the U.S.!!! Julie & I have gone to church together off & on for the past 10 years. I love this girl!! Lisa reminds her readers whose hands her life is in with every post. In 2007 when we were planning our trip to California, a mystery reader emailed me & said that she lived near Disneyland & would be happy to mail us some maps so we could look at the park ahead of time & figure out which things we wanted to ride. I was thrilled & so were the kids. Darcy's blog chronicles her Disney-loving family's daily life & faith. Angie O. lost her husband to cancer in March. The strength & beauty & honesty of her posts are so powerful. I can't even remember how I found Amber's blog, but I'm glad I did. She challenges women to strive to be a Proverbs 31 woman. Rachel's daughter & Sarah are penpals. And last, but most definately not least is Alyssa. She & I met through an online Christian moms group over a decade ago. While we've never lived near each other, we've talked on the phone often & have kept up with each other's families for 10+ years now. She is amazing!

If you click on these ladies' names, you'll see their blogs....and you'll understand why I admire each one of them so much. You'll be blessed, too! I check on these blogs every single night to see if there is a new post, to absorb whatever the authors post about each day. I LOVE every one of these ladies' blogs and I think that if I were to ever get to meet the ladies behind these blogs (of course, other than the ones I already know in real life), I would absolutely feel like I was meeting a celebrity icon....someone who's had a great impact on me over the years. And because I can imagine how I'd tear up and hug their neck, how I'd want to sit & talk to them and hear their wisdom poured out over a cup of coffee (for them, I'd drink some water, thanks...), I am overwhelmingly honored and touched by Kristi's comments today.

And so, Kristi, THANK YOU. You have no idea how much your sweet words...those very POWERFUL words...meant to me. You made my day!! But it all boils down to HIM. I hope you see HIM in my posts long before you see ME.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

:) Wow Liz... I gotta admit that I feel a lot like you did today... stunned when people say they read! It threw me for such a loop when I was in the US and people responded to a story I told with, "Yeah, I remember when you wrote about that." Eek! What?!?!?! Thanks for the heads up that you wrote this, I subscribe to you, but I've been so behind lately reading up on my Google Reader that a lot of times I just hit "Mark All Read". *sheepish*

Marlo said...

Liz,
Thanks for always encouraging me with your comments. I too, love writing in my head as a I go through my day and I'm definitely not a celebrity!

Alyssa @ CrazyBusy said...

Aww!!!! ((((Liz)))) You are SO sweet and have been such a great friend over the years. You are a blessing in so many ways! Thank you for your sweet words, my friend! :)
HUGS! Love ya!
Alyssa

Jennifer said...

Liz! What a sweet, sweet blessing to wake up this morning and fin this in my inbox! I, too, am humbled by your sweet words and stilll find it suprising that God can use the crazy, jumbled mess in my head to touch anybody! He is so amazing, isn't He?

Amber Benge said...

I can't imagine anything more wonderful in this moment than sitting and having coffee with you. Of all the blog world friends, you are perhaps the one I consider most my sister in faith. I hope one day we can get together and chat for hours. My husband's ears need a break too! Love you girl!

Candice said...

Thanks, Liz! That's just so nice! Though I never got to know you well in real life, it's been nice to 'get to know you' more through your blog!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Liz, you are so sweet. Thank you for including me with these ladies. You inspire me with your consistent walk with God, with their commitment to your husband and children to be a Godly wife and mother. I am so glad that we are friends, online and in real life!! Love ya girl!!!

Ivy Ervin said...

Oh Liz, how very gracious of you!! I am humbled, to say the least. You have been such an encourager and "listener" to me as well over the years. Even when I think no one is paying attention anymore, out pops an email asking "How are you? Everything ok?"- just your gentle nudging reminding me that others are indeed listening! I get carried away with busyness in my life & sadly, find myself neglecting others both in the real world & cyberspace. But thank you for always being faithful at sharing God's love, compassion & forgiveness of our shortcomings. We love you! Ivy & fam