Sunday, June 6, 2010

Summer, Day 10 (Sun June 6)

Have I mentioned how much bliss I get out of summer? Tonight we took the kids to Marble Slab for a treat. If you don't know about Marble Slab, perhaps you've heard of Cold Stone Creamery. It's basically the same thing. Basically you pick one of a thousand yummy flavors of icecreams and then select one (or two, or ten) toppings that they mix into your icecream on a big marble cutting board sort of thing right in front of you and then they scoop it up & put it into a cone or a cup. Yum. I can't handle lots of dairy very often, but once in a while it's a special treat. So tonight we took the kids for a treat after supper. They loved it!

But do you know what I loved more?

The conversations that ensued at the table threw me into Mommy-Heaven. Somewhere between the gummy bear & Reese's pieces icecream scoops, we talked about special needs kids and allergies to all sorts of things (they were coming up with silly allergies that could perhaps be cured with cake-flavored oxygen). We spent the most time talking about caring for others (particularly those with various handicaps) and I heard compassion & love flowing from my kids' words.

Gosh I love these people I call my family. I'm one lucky lady!

1 comment:

Shanda said...

At least once a summer we try to do Marble Slab, but not after dinner. For dinner! You reminded me that I have a Seize the Deal coupon to use there. Woohoo!

The other night we were coming home from a Pumpjacks game in Kilgore, and God presented me with an amazing teachable moment as we were passing the liquor stores. I love how my kids are opening up more and more. They are at an age where they have so many questions. I'm so grateful that they are bringing their questions to me!
Have a great week, Liz.