Tuesday, May 15, 2007

News on the job front

Ok.  So Friday morning I turned in my application packets at the administrative office.  I know the personnel director & she told me later that afternoon that everything had been sent out in the intercampus mail.  So Monday rolls around & I am assuming by then that all the principals have my application for the jobs I'm applying for.  One of the jobs had specifically said they'd be starting interviews by the "middle" of this week.  I assumed if they planned to start interviews mid-week, they'd call Monday to set that up.  Right?

Monday came & went.  I didn't panic.  Just figured they weren't done looking through the applications yet.  I figured I'd get a call today.  At lunchtime I called home to check the machine & see if we had messages.  Nope.  I did that again after work.  Still nothing.

When we got home this afternoon, I had an email from a friend who is a teacher @ one of the schools where I'm applying.  She'd been talking to the principal about me & guess what?  He didn't have my application.  He called the admin. office to see if they still had it.  They said they didn't have an application on file for me.

Uh oh........

So at 4:15 this afternoon when I read this email, I panicked!  Where was my application?  Why didn't he have it?  It should've reached him Friday afternoon.  What happened??

I called the admin building to see & guess what?  My packet was still sitting there on the desk!  Oy.  I was assured the application packets would go out to the prinicipals tomorrow morning!  Whew!!!!!!!

After getting through a mild panic attack (just kidding...I didn't have one, but I was concerned where my stuff went), I got a phone call.  The friend who emailed me to let me know they didn't have my application was calling to reassure me that if God had this job in store for me, then He wouldn't let a little thing like a papertrail stop Him.  Whew...so true!

On top of that, I found out that a dear friend of mine has already pretty well been hired for another of the aide jobs, so I would get to work with her if I'm hired!  Small world!

I'm still torn between which job I'd enjoy most if I were to somehow be offered more than one.  I think I'd love them all, honestly.  My choices are:

1.  Elementary school- special education aide.  This is strictly academic special ed stuff, not a life skills type class.  I'd work one on one with kids who need extra help in whatever subject they're struggling with.  This is more of a resource/pull-out program, not a full day class of special ed. students.  This one is across the hall from Samuel's current 1st grade teacher.  We put her as #1 on the teacher request list for Sarah, so there is the possibility that if I got this job, I'd be right across the hall from Sarah all day.  I think I'd enjoy this job b/c I saw the benefit of the resource teachers in Andrew's life while he was here.
 
2.  Intermediate school-  Attendance clerk.  That's pretty self-explanatory I guess.  I was a bookkeeper for Albertsons before Savannah was born.  I know it's been a while & the technology has changed, but when it comes to reports & paperwork, I am very anal about it.  I could totally get into this job and would enjoy the computer work involved.  If I got this job, I would be at a great campus.  This is a 2 year campus, meaning the kids are there for 3rd & 4th grades.  Although none of my kids are there right now, when they did come to this campus, I could actually see them throughout the day for 2 straight years before they moved up.
 
3.  Intermediate school- PPCD aide.  This is an aide in a classroom of children who are mostly disabled/handicapped who need a lot of physical help as well as preschool type of curriculum help.  Some are more severely handicapped than others.  Super sweet class of kids who melt your heart & wrap you around their fingers quickly.  A perk to this one is that a good friend is the teacher in the class.  They're hiring 2 new aides to work directly with her.  She is a super Christian lady that would be great to work with.  A funny thing---she told me today that they'd already pretty well decided on who they're hiring for one of the 2 spots....and it turns out, it's an old friend of mine that is also a great Christian friend.  So I know I'd be in a great environment if this works out.
 
4.  Middle school -- ISS classroom.  This is the classroom where the kids are sent as a punishment.  I know it's probably not everyone's first choice for a job, but I think I could really get into it.  Having had Andrew here for the past year, I think I could handle just about anything a kid could throw at me.  It would be a ministry in a way (shhh!  don't tell the schools, but I'd be praying for each of the kids that came through the ISS room!).  You have to be stern & come off to the kids as a total meanie which is actually a little out of the norm for me demeanor-wise.....but I could do it.  You sit in the room with them, supervising them all day.  The teachers send enough work to keep them busy the whole time they're there (usually a couple of days).  The kids aren't allowed to talk or goof off at all.  It would be a quiet job that didn't mean taking home a lot of work or stress.  I'm sure I could get some reading done in that classroom.  (Certainly not all the time...but some!)
 
I've reached a point that I'm nervous about the interviews and am anxious for something to happen.  BUT, I'm very comfortable in knowing God will work out the details & put me in exactly the right job.  If He wants me to do one of these jobs, He'll make it happen.  If not, He'll show me the right one.  And ya know...I'm ok with that.
 
And so the waiting game begins.........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck :) and you are right God knows which one he wants for you:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz.. I have thought about applying for a couple of jobs through the school system for next year also.. I just don't know though if I am ready for it..  There are 2 positions opened for ISS here...  I think I would get a little bored.. but it would be easier then other jobs...lol  Will be praying that if God wants you there he finds the perfect position for you :)

Anonymous said...

I hate hate waiting!!!!!!
Becky