Tuesday, May 29, 2007

the end of another season

In the Spring of 05, we registered Sarah for a Fall 05 Mother's Day Out program.  Her older siblings would all be in school in the Fall and for the first time, she'd be home "alone" (well, without any sibs).  We figured she'd get bored hanging out w/ "just mom" and she really did need some practice at social skills.  She is definately our most shy kiddo, so we signed up for a once a week trip to Mother's Day Out.  We never did any sort of preschool or MDO program for the older 2 kids, so this was a big deal for all of us.

After registering her, I started daydreaming of the "perfect" job for me.  I was thinking about the NEXT fall (2006) when she would start Kindergarten.  It hit me that the hours of the Mother's Day Out program would make for an ideal job for me---if they needed another Mother's Day Out teacher in 2006, that is.  The idea of working 2 days/week, making a little extra money, always being home when the kids needed me.....ahhhh....sounds wonderful doesn't it?  On a whim, I emailed the director of the center where we'd signed her up to see if she anticipated needing another MDO teacher the FOLLOWING Fall.  I figured she'd laugh me off as I listed all of my conditions to working.  As it turned out, they needed a Mother's Day Out teacher right away!  I was a little stunned, but agreed to think about it & talk to Larry.  Well, long story short, I took the job.  Sarah was able to go with me to work and she was right next door to me all year.  It was a great year for both of us!

I continued teaching the MDO program this year.  I have loved it!  Not only do I have the ideal job for a stay at home mom who still wants to be at home, I have the best place in the world to work!  My bosses are good friends.  My coworkers are like family.  The kids I teach feel like my own after having spent a year with them.  I really can't think of a better place to work.  When Larry had his back surgery in October, they called to check on him.  When A&K moved out in March, my boss told me to take the week off & take care of things at home.  They sent me a card to check on me mid-week & were there with loving arms when I returned.  The "family" I've become a part of up there is incredibly caring.

And yet, for all the emotional ties I have to this great place, that season is ending.  I can hardly believe that Thursday will be my last day there.  Today I began packing up 2 years worth of curriculum, 2 years worth of pictures the kids have drawn for me, 2 years worth of supplies.......and as I did, I realized just how much I'm going to miss this place!

No longer will I wear a lanyard with an electronic key attached.  No longer will I carry a walkie talkie around in case someone throws up or breaks an arm.  :)  No longer will I stop at the infant room twice a day to say hello or goodbye to the babies.  I won't be listening for the day care bus in the afternoons to announce my childrens' arrival.  I won't be hugged around the knees by 2 year olds that are just happy to see me walk into their room.  I won't be singing any more songs in chapel with funny hand motions & listening to a Bible story told by an enthusiastic day care director.  I won't be vacuuming up spilled lunches or fuzzy pieces of the feathers on the dress up costumes in the afternoons.  I'll no longer be walking a handful of 3 & 4 year olds to the gym when it's raining or trying to steer them clear of the mud at the construction site on the way to the playground.  No longer will you hear me singing songs about putting your ear/head/back/hand/shoulder/bottom on the wall.  I won't be pouring small sippy cups full of soy milk anymore and you won't see me tiptoeing around the day care center looking for the class's missing yellow duck during our pond unit.  You won't find me cutting out dinosaur patterns or bumble bee wings.

But ya know what?  You also won't see me wiping the tears from my eyes as I pray for "my kids".  You won't watch me hug my class goodbye in the afternoon.  You won't hear the classical music playing at naptime or see little arms reaching up for one more 'goodnight' hug.  You'll no longer see me urging along a potty trainer or snuggling tight a child with a booboo.  I won't be hearing sweet lunchtime prayers anymore or opening packages of fruit snacks for little hands.  I won't be telling Bible stories & memory verses while "my kids" eat a quick snack.  You won't see me on the holiday aisle at Walmart stocking up on treats & favors for my class.

On Thursday, my class doesn't know it, but they'll go to the playground with another teacher while I make a flying trip to McDonald's for happy meals--our last lunch together.  On Thursday, I'll wipe one last nose & change one more diaper.  On Thursday, I'll sing one last round of silly songs & practice walking like a dinosaur one more time.  On Thursday, I'll have a bubble in my mouth & a ducktail on my back.  I'll talk in silly voices while I read a story & act out the part of the silly goose one last time.  On Thursday, I will teach a Bible story and hug 7 more little necks goodbye...one last time.

And when the time rolls around and I take the May 2007 calendar off the door for the final time, I will clock out & drive away.  So if you see me driving down Troup Highway with tears in my eyes sometime Thursday night, you'll know why.

I love you Glenna, Becky, Brenda, Donna, Shanah, Marla, Heather, Heather, Kenda, Michelle, Kim, Mamie, Wendi, Cynthia, Mona, Kathryn, Danielle, Ann, Keri, Natalie, Emily, Monique, DeeDee, Cassie, Sophie, Gayla, Marcia, and everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!  (I couldn't possibly remember everyone's names, but please know I love you all!!)  You will be greatly missed.  Life may take us in 40 different directions this Fall, but my prayers will go with you wherever you go!

Farewell Pleasant Hill Child Development Center.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a great tribute to a wonderful place:) now where are you going again? lol sorry its been a long week

Deb