Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Wow, what a day

It started early this morning. Larry's alarm went off at some crazy hour. I think it was 4:15am. On purpose. He had to be at the airport by 5:30ish. He had a 7am flight to Houston, connecting to a 9:20am flight to San Diego. For a few days, he's attending a national outreach conference & really suffering for Jesus at this giant resort. Yeah, I'm really feeling for the poor guy tonight.

At 10am, Larry's dad had a cardioversion. This is the procedure where they shock your heart to try to correct an abnormal rhythm. He's in A-fib for all you medical folks. The procedure did not work. They did it, but it did not correct his heart rhythm. We're not sure what that means now as far as what the next step will be. He goes back to the cardiologist in a few weeks to figure that out.

About 20 minutes after I got the phone call about Larry's dad, I got another call. It was the school nurse. She said that Samuel had been at recess & got a wood chip stabbed into his eye. The chip was already out, but he was having some visual disturbance from it. She wanted to know what I'd like her to do. I told her I'd be there in 1/2 an hour. After a couple quick phone calls, I got a sub for my class & took off to the school. We got him into the eye doctor's office this afternoon and found out that he has a corneal abrasion. It's a pretty mild one, but it's there. The doc gave us some drops to put in his eye for a few days til he gets all healed up.

After the doctor's appointment, I went back to my school to clean up & prep the room for tomorrow. Let me just say that my sub & I must speak the same language. (That language would be OCD! ha ha!) She had put things away exactly like I would, down to the most minute details that few people would even notice. Gotta love it when you find someone who's as anal retentive as you are! {I know who I'm calling to be my sub from now on!!!} Anyway, so I went to the school to clean up & prep. I got things set out & supplies ready for tomorrow and then got a phone call from Savannah. As I walked to the office to pick up the phone, I mumbled under my breath "ok, so what did you stab in your eye?". Thankfully it was nothing like that. She just wanted to tell me that she was staying after school for a band thing. She should be done by 3:15-3:30. Ok, so when I left it was late enough that I could just drive to the school & park and wait for her. It ends up that she didn't get done til 3:50. Grrrr...after sitting in the van in the parking lot for a lot longer than I'd expected, I was tired & ready to go home!

Tonight was our church staff wives' monthly meeting/dinner. We get together to enjoy each other's company & share prayer needs. It was such a refreshing break after the long day I'd had. While I met w/ the other wives, the kids stayed at the church with a sitter.

We came home & (woohoo!) we got to hear from Larry. He's safe & sound and had just enjoyed a $26 burger. Ugh. Nothing like Californian food prices. (Susan & Darcy--how do y'all survive that??!!) It turns out that the place Larry's staying is a 10 minute drive from an online pal of mine, however at the moment she is in another state! Oh well, maybe next time.

At the end of the evening, I stood in front of the TV & watched John McCain concede the Presidential race. As tears streamed down my cheeks, my only thought was Dear God...have mercy on us. While I am excited about the idea of having an African American president, I am NOT thrilled about the particular one our country has chosen. In fact, he scares me a great deal. I realize that God has a plan for our nation & there is a great reason why Obama was elected tonight. God knew the result of this election long before I was a sparkle in my mama's eye. But ya know, we don't always understand or LIKE God's plan and right now, I'm struggling with the idea of putting the words "President" & "Obama" together. All I can think is how ready I am for Jesus to return. Come on, Father......we're ready!

As I leave this post tonight, I am reminded to drop to my knees and pray not only for our nation, but for Obama as he leads this country of ours. God help us all. God help Obama.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Where in the world did Larry eat??? A $26 burger?? LOL.

Amy Elizabeth Robinson said...

I hope Samuel's eye is all better!