Monday, June 12, 2006

Sun June 11 #2--Vacation time!!

Beginning today, we are officially "on vacation" according to the church (where Larry works).  It's weird.  I felt really odd staying home tonight & not being in church.  I mean, church is not only Larry's job, but such a place of comfort & rest for me.  I don't mean "rest" in the 'doze off in church' sense, but "rest" meaning peace & safety & security through Christ.  It's hard to really put that into words for someone who doesn't know what I'm talking about.....but for those of you who've grown up in church, and then really GROWN UP in the Lord, you know what I mean.

With each of our (bio) kids, we have taken them on a special trip alone with just Larry & I right before they start Kindergarten.  That trip has always been an overnight trip to Six Flags in Arlington.  We leave the other munchkins with a relative & take off on a wildly fun 24 hour excursion for that one special kiddo.  Sarah has been looking forward to "her trip" since last summer when we took Samuel.  She's known that her chance was coming up & has reminded us of it...often.  This week she will get her promised trip.  On Wednesday afternoon, we will drop off Savannah, Andrew, Samuel & Kourtney with grandparents.  We'll leave early Thurs morning & drive straight there, spending the day at Six Flags and then we'll head back home Fri morning.  I can't wait to see Sarah's face on the rides, to see how she does with walking all day long in the heat, etc.  I learned my lesson last year on how miserable dehydration can feel.  There will be NO caffeinated beverages touching my lips that day.  No sir-ee!  I was sick as a dog by the time we left the park last summer & felt awful for about 12 hours afterward.  I was sweating buckets & drinking soda after soda (b/c water was more expensive).  This year, I don't care how expensive it is.  I will still sweat by the bucketful, I'm sure, but I am not going to let that stop me from enjoying the trip!

When we come back, we will spend the weekend at home & go to our old church next Sunday (Father's Day).  Bethel Bible Church holds such a sweet spot in our hearts.  I can't imagine what our lives would be like today without the involvement of the precious people there.  Larry & I spent the most wonderful 8 years at Bethel Bible Church and are anxious to "go home on furlough" as a retreat from the usual ministry duties for a week.  I think we're going to go in time to visit our old SS class & then the worship service.  It ought to be a real treat!  :::waving to all the Bethel folks reading this!  See you Sunday!:::

After a quiet weekend at home, we will then embark on another week of travelling next week, visiting other relatives & the Johnson Space Center in Houston.  I'll update you on that before we leave.

I'm sure I will have pictures to share from both trips, so beware....if you're on my snapfish photo album account, you will be getting to see lots of pictures!  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


  And this Grandma is looking forward to spending some time with "my kids" for a couple of days.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall and see Sarah ride the rides too, but I'm sure I can trust you to take pictures so we won't miss a minute :)!
   Grandma