Thursday, June 1, 2006

Thursday June 1

We have had a busy 1st half to the week & a filled end to last week!

At the end of last week, Andrew asked Larry when he could get "bab-uh-tized".  At the time he asked, there wasn't time to sit down & really talk about it, so Larry told him they'd talk about it later.  Well, 'later' came one night a few days later when I was tucking the boys in.  Samuel chimed in, too, saying that he wanted to get bab-uh-tized.  :)  We talked a while.  Samuel was interested in the conversation, but equally interested in tossing his stuffed blue bunny up in the air & singing me songs he's learned at church.  Although he did look awfullly cute doing hand motions & waving his arms around to "My Hope is in You Lord", while wearing nothing but his tightie-whities, I knew he wasn't really "into" the conversation.  Of course I'm sure he was hearing things anyway, so the seed is there....but it wasn't time for him.  Andrew, on the other hand, seemed to really be into hearing all of the details of what it takes to be saved.  I talked him through it & he seemed to get all excited in asking "Ok, so after I do all that, when do I get bab-uh-tized?"  Ummm...well, would you be doing that just to get baptized?  He nodded excitedly & said "It would be fun to get wet!".  <snicker>  Ok, well....maybe this isn't the right time after all.  I told him that he would reach a time when God would tell him it was time.  He would speak to him in a way that he would KNOW God is telling him it's time to give his heart to him, but until then we'd just talk about it whenever he wanted to.  He seems ok with that & grasps most of the concept of salvation, but I don't think he's quite "there" yet.  Keep praying....

The next day we were watching a country music video about the soldiers overseas & the singer (can't think of who it was?) quoted the scripture that says "Greater love hath no man than he who lays down his life for a friend."  Andrew heard him say that & piped up "Jesus did that!".  I couldn't help but grin, knowing that he's "getting it".

This week is our first full week at home out of school.  Monday morning we all went to Lowe's & picked out our new bathtub & toilet & some lighting stuff.  Tuesday morning we went to the Whitehouse park.  Wednesday we went to Chuck E. Cheese & played games for a couple of hours.  Today is a home day....if the kids can ever finish their chores I have a fun game to play with them from a neat book I got a few months ago.  We'll see if that ever happens.  (the chores getting finished)  Tomorrow morning we'll run some errands, come home & do chores, then do a craft---plaster of paris handprints for everyone!

Please keep Andrew in your prayers.  His walls are falling down, slowly but steadily.  The pseudo-adult role he's played all his life is finally slipping away & he's becoming a little boy.  It's so neat to watch this process, but at the same time, very painful & hard some days.  He's learned to be agressive & angry & deal with any sort of frustration by screaming & hitting.  We had to come home from the park early on Tuesday because he ended up hurting 2 of the kids in an angry moment.  We're working on learning ways to control his temper, praying for his aggression to be channeled the right way.  We came up with a "code word" for moments when he's built up so angry that he's about to POP.  I can say the code word to remind him that it's time to back up, take a deep breath & walk away.  So far, we haven't had to use it.  It seems like being in a familiar situation with familiar people seems to calm him & make it easy to deal with frustrations as they come.  Any "new" things throw him for a loop & make him lose it quickly.  Anyway, for all my prayer warrior buddies out there, keep praying.  Andrew's got an angry old man coming out of him....and until it's gone, there is a war being waged inside him.  (& don't think for a second that I don't connect all this to the spiritual stuff going on!  Satan doesn't want to lose another one!)

Progress for Kourtney, too-----  She's gone back & forth on calling me mama/mommy and then other times calling me Aunt Liz.  I don't really ever say anything one way or the other.  I don't want to make her feel like she has to call me any one thing.  I just let it happen the way she wants it to & leave it at that.  Anyway, I'm a pretty touchy feely person, always kissing & hugging on the kids.  She always wants a hug & will even come find me all throughout the day just to get a hug, like she's checking in to make sure I'm still here & then she'll go back to whatever she's doing.  I've always snuggled & hugged her just as much as the other kids but she's been a little stand-offish on kissing me.  She doesnt have a problem w/ me kissing her on the cheek/forehead/nose, etc but she hasn't wanted to be the one to start the kiss & pretty much refused to kiss my face anywhere at all.  I haven't pushed the issue AT ALL or demanded anything, but I still gave her plenty of hugs & kisses.  Usually at bedtime, I'll go from bed to bed saying "Hugs & kisses time!" & whoever I'm talking to will lean up & give me a hug and kiss before going to bed.  When I get to her, she always hugs me but then sort of shrivels up her nose & makes a face about giving me a kiss.  I have teasingly said "Oh, I'm so sad....Kourtney won't give me a kiss" & then pretend to cry...to which she just laughs.  I have played the "Don't you kiss me on the cheek when I turn around!!" game.  That one usually works because she thinks she's getting away with something.  :)  Anyway....earlier this week, I was on the couch with all three girls in my lap reading a book when one of the (bio) girls leaned up & kissed me on the cheek right beside my lips.  She made a "ewww" kind of sound & then the one who kissed me said "That's not gross!  She's my mama!".  The other one in my lap said something like "it's ok to kiss your mama on the lips!".  I don't think I said anything at all but went on reading the story.  At bedtime that night, I gave her the usual hug & she grabbed my face & pulled me down to her & planted a big wet kiss on me.  I think I teared up before I got out of the room.  I was so happy to see her progressing to a place where she isn't scared or weirded out at kissing me.  :)

I love my babies!!  All 5 of 'em!

No comments: