Saturday, January 13, 2007

Sad night at the Reeves house

 Coco bit Savannah tonight, right beside her mouth.  I *think* she was just being playful & she got too rowdy, but whatever the case, Savannah is at the hospital getting stitches.  Before they left to go to the hospital, Larry called the K-9 officer & told them to come take Coco.  He put her out into the yard before he left so that they could get her without having to come into the house & upset the kids.  He felt like, if she could get this aggressive & hurt Savannah when she's just playing, he doesn't want to wait & risk what happens if she were to get mad & seriously injure one of us.  I asked him a couple of times if he was really sure about this and he was adament that this is what we would do.  I'm a little heartbroken since I know it was an accident, but I guess he's right.
 
When the police got here to pick her up, the officer told me that they will watch her for a couple of days & make sure she's not showing signs of aggression (i.e. Rabies) and assuming that she does not, they will train her to be a drug dog.  That makes me feel better, knowing that I'm not just handing her over to be euthanized.
 
Larry just called.  It took 4 stitches to close the bite.  Poor baby.  She was VERY freaked out when they left the house.  The sight of blood alone is enough to make her lose it but when Larry mentioned stitches, she really flipped out.  When they left, she was still bleeding pretty bad even with an ice compress.  The K-9 officer called Larry after they picked Coco up & asked him to come by the police dept on the way home so that he could take a picture of the bite.
 
The boys were sobbing & crying about Coco having to go.  The girls were less concerned about the dog than they were Savannah.  Sad night......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz,
 I am so sorry about Savannah and Coco.....I was bit by my family dog when I was a child and it can be very traumatic.  I will keep you all in my prayers.  
Nice to hear that Coco will go on to do good things in the world.  Give Savannah a hug from all of us!                                                            The Arnolds

Anonymous said...

hope Savannah heals quick:) at least coco will be put to good use

Deb