Thursday, January 8, 2009

It's happening.

This morning, I stood in the bathroom getting ready to put on my make up. I pulled my hair back in a headband & put on my SPF-laden moisturizer first & then my foundation. I put on my eyeliner, eyeshadow & then mascara. That's when it happened. I was holding my little hand mirror to see my eyelashes because, after all, my eyes just aren't what they used to be. No more standing 3 ft. from the mirror & actually hitting my LASHES with the mascara wand. I've got to either have my little hand mirror or I have to lean across the counter to get inches from the big mirror. Anyway, I was putting on my mascara when I saw it. A little hair. Not up in my hairline or in my eyebrows. At first I thought it was a hair falling into my eyes from the hairline so I brushed it out of the way. When it fell down a second time, I pulled against it & realized that.....OH MY GOSH...it was connected to the MIDDLE OF MY FOREHEAD!!

When did this happen? Since when am I old enough to have hair growing in all sorts of weird places? About 5 years ago, in my late 20s, I discovered the womanly joy of having to use a (ahem...) facial hair remover cream. Thank God I sell Avon & can buy it from myself without having to hand it to the checkout lady at the drugstore who will immediately eyeball my upper lip to see why I'm buying such a product. But when did I start growing hairs in the MIDDLE OF MY FOREHEAD? Good Lord...the next thing ya know, I'll be plucking chin hairs or using my husband's ear & nose hair trimmer.

I realize that I'm aging. I really am at peace with my age. It's just a number & doesn't bother me. I don't mind getting these nice little lines around my eyes. It doesn't bother me too much that my nephew---the one that was born when I was 11 years old-- is now old enough to be married & expecting his first child. I don't mind that I have to wear my glasses when I drive & that my sight is getting progressively worse. I'm not really shocked that I can't sleep on the living room floor anymore without regretting it afterward. The whole idea of "getting older" doesn't really phase me.

But really... forehead hairs were NOT on my list of things that I expected. Sagging & drooping, wrinkles & gray hair.....but FOREHEAD hairs? yikes! No one warned me about that!

5 comments:

Kelley said...

Yep, chin hairs are definitely next! LOL Oh, and I have bleaching my upper lip for a few years now!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Okay, so I do not have a random hair on my forehead, but well, let's now talk about chins, shall we ;-)

Ruth said...

I had a hard time getting used to the idea of being 50. So a friend and I took a trip to San Francisco and walked across the Golden Gate bridge in honor of our Golden birthday! In honor of this new discovery, I say, 'start planning a girls' trip!'

Amanda said...

LOL OMG, I did not know about this phenomenon either!

Maybe my fair complexion/light colored hair will save me from this in the next few years???? I can hope.

Darcy said...

ROTFL.

For what it's worth, I don't think women get hairy ears like men do.

The day after Christmas, we were out shopping, and we happened to be at Bed Bath and Beyond. I stopped to take a gander in the extra magnification mirrors. BIG MISTAKE! I know I have this hair that grows just below my bottom lip, but it was long. I found my husband in the store and said "Dude, you're suppose to tell me when I have a long ole hair that needs plucking". LOL.

Such are the tales of getting old(er)!! LOL