Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wed Jan 14

I didn't sleep much last night because I spent the majority of the night coughing. When I lay down, my sinuses drain and I cough. yuck. Funny thing...when I am up during the day, I don't cough & don't even have a runny or stuffy nose. I know it's all allergy-related. Grrrr...how annoying.

Today I got to work & (thankfully) made it through the morning circle time/art/snack before I got the phone call from the school nurse. Apparently Savannah had already tried to call Larry and when he couldn't leave to come get her, she called me. When I picked up the phone, I knew she felt horrible. I could hear it in her voice. I asked what was wrong & she said she had felt like she was going to throw up all morning. She had spent most of her morning in the bathroom, leaning over a toilet. Poor kid! I went to pick her up. When I got there, she looked OK so I asked her to tell me again what was wrong. She described her symptoms this way:

*The muscles behind my eyes feel really tight & it hurts. (sinus pressure?)
*I have a headache. (sinus pressure!)
*I feel like I'm going to throw up. (sinus drainage!)

We came home & I gave her some sinus medicine. She spent most of the day laying down, playing her Nintendo DS or reading. She played on the computer a little bit too. In the meantime, I tried to sneak in a short nap to make up for getting 4 hours' sleep last night. It didn't do me much good though. I just layed there & coughed my head off. :::sigh:::

After school, we went to the pediatrician for Samuel's follow-up appointment. He had a double ear infection 2 weeks ago. While his ears are clear now, he's still got some congestion & is coughing some. When he does, it sounds 'productive' and he says that he's spitting out "gunk"...which means he's still got some drainage & yuck going on, too. The pediatrician said that his ears are clear "for now"...but that he's on the train to getting another infection based on the cold symptoms he's still having. We're holding off on doing any further med's with him right now. He said to go ahead & run the humidifier in his room at night and continue to treat the congestion/drainage stuff. Hopefully we can ward off another ear infection. If we don't, we may have to consider doing another set of tubes for this little man considering that he's had quite a few ear infections again in the past year. He *should* be outgrowing the age to need tubes, BUT he is also a teeny tiny little guy, so his body is not up to the almost-9 year old size that it should be, therefore his ears are still teeny & functioning as a teeny person's might. I'm hoping that with Spring on the way, we can avoid another ear infection!

We met Larry for supper after the doctor's appointment and then headed home, instead of going to church. With Savannah halfway sick, Samuel still recovering, me feeling droopy....it just seemed like a better idea. It was 6:00 before we got home & the kids still hadn't opened their backpacks yet. We're just relaxing now.

2 comments:

SandyL said...

I think you sent me your sinus stuff through the internet and I am not happy...lol I am going out of town tomorrow and I don't have time to get sick!

terri said...

Man. Sounds like all you Texans have the yuck.
I sure hope you feel better soon and have a nice weekend. :)