Saturday, November 24, 2007

The beginning of the Christmas season

Today was the day that my kids & I shared our first tradition of the Christmas season.  I love this whole late November to New Year's Day stuff.  It's my favorite time of year because we have created so many fun traditions with our kids.  I love watching them get excited about all our family 'stuff'.  Sure, they're excited about the coming gifts, too, but they really get excited about just doing the silly stuff with Larry & I, too.

Today we started our season with decorating the house, putting up the tree, singing to a Christmas CD & drinking our "Christmas drinks" (eggnog, cider, hot chocolate).  Most of the rest of the day we layed around & watched TV or movies under blankets in the living room.  It was a great day!!!  They're already looking forward to going to see Christmas lights, but I think we'll wait a couple weeks to start doing that!

Today I had to do something that we've always threatened to do but never have had to go through with.  We've always told the kids that if they snoop around & find presents, whatever they find will get taken back to the store.  They all know that most of the gifts are hidden in my dresser or in Larry's closet (because of the way the door to his closet opens up, we can safely hide stuff on the shelf behind the door & they can't see it unless they actually go INTO the closet & close the door to look behind it).  I guess, on the up side, at least he was honest about it.  Samuel came & told me today that he'd been in Larry's closet looking at his tools (umm...yeah...sure) and saw one of his presents.  I'm really bummed because I really LIKE this present!  But I have to follow through w/ the threat or next year he'll be snooping around looking for stuff thinking "she won't take it back".  Ugh....guess I'll be making a trip to Target in the next few days.  Anyone need a Knight in Shining Armor dress up set for your little guy?  I'll make you a good deal on it!  :)

 

No comments: