Tuesday, November 13, 2007

cat in the road

Yesterday morning, as I was leaving to take my kids to school, I noticed a cat sleeping out by the mailbox (right up against the curb) of a house a couple blocks away.  I worried that something was wrong with it for it to be out that close to the street, but there weren't any obvious signs of it being hurt--no blood.  Plus it was laying in a very natural position---not like it had been hit by a car & that's where it landed.

When I came back from taking the kids to school, it was still in the same place & I realized that it wasn't sleeping---it was dead.  I wondered if the people who lived in this house were also out taking a child to school & would find it when they came back.

When I left for work about 45 min later, the dead cat was still in the same place.  I parked by the curb & went to the door to tell the owners, but no one answered.  There was a truck in the driveway each time I'd passed by the house so I thought someone might be home.  No one answered the door & I needed to get to work.  The people had probably taken the kids to school & went onto work, I assumed.

Sure enough when I came back home about 1:45pm, the cat was still in the same spot.  Surely the people who live there will come home from work & find the cat & do something about it right?

At 5:45 last night, I took the girls w/ me and we headed to the church for a ladies' night event.  It was still there.  Yuck.  Now I'm getting grossed out.

I told myself that SURELY the people would've come home by this morning & found the cat.  Nope...it was still there when I took the kids to school this morning.  Ok, somewhere in there, it goes from "poor Fluffy" to "disgusting dead cat in the street".  Thankfully, when I came up the street heading back to the house, there was a city truck on the street & I flagged them down & told the guy in the truck about the cat.  He said he'd call animal control and/or the police & get them to have someone remove the dead cat.  Obviously the owners are out of town or something and I hate to have them come home to a missing kitty....but it's grossing me out!!!  I'm sure there is some sort of public health issue with having a dead animal laying in the street where little kids play!

So there's my concerned citizen report for the day.  Let's just hope they show up & actually get thecat today!

No comments: