Sunday, November 4, 2007

Weekend review

What a full weekend!

It started at 7am Friday morning.  I met some of the other teachers from Oak Tree Academy on the parking lot to a grocery store in Whitehouse & headed for a training conference/workshop in Longview.  What a fun day.  It was long & we sat a lot, just listening, but the workshops I went to were all a lot of fun with good info!  I went to "Science fun with preschoolers", "Fine Motor Skills: Write Outside the Box!", "Child Abuse & Neglect" and "Boys, Boys, Boys!".  All 4 classes were really good.  Any of you teachers out there who'd like to see copies of the handouts & my notes, let me know.  I'd be happy to share.

Friday evening, Larry had a wedding rehearsal and a football game to attend and for whatever crazy reason, I was really wiped out, so the kids & I hung out at home & watched TV til bedtime.  I actually zonked out at 9:45 Saturday night, so I was really tired!  I slept straight through to Saturday morning, too!

On Saturday morning, Larry hit the hunting trail bright & early.  His alarm went off at 5am & he hit the door, ready to blast himself a Bambi.  He didn't get anything that morning, but he had fun.  Saturday evening, he did the wedding that he'd done the rehearsal for the night before and the kids & I went grocery shopping.  It's been a while since I took all three kids w/ me, but they actually did quite well.  I guess they had better...they are old enough to handle it after all!

I did a little better last night on staying awake til closer to my normal time, but even still I took a nap yesterday afternoon & then another one today!  I guess I'm catching up on my rest.

This morning we had church.  After putting off finishing my November lesson plans & class newsletter for a week (!!!!), I sat down tonight & finished them.  Whew.  I'm always glad to get that accomplished.  I love doing it, but it does take some time to get it done & around here, I just don't have much "spare" time.  Now that it's done, I'm ready for a full week with the kids at school.

At the end of this week, I am having my 32nd birthday.  Going on the inspiration of another blogging friend, on Friday I will post "32 Facts about Me".  (She recently turned 34 & posted 34 facts --- it was fun to read!)

Larry & I finally made it onto the Rose Heights Church website.  He's been on there for a long time, but last November (yes, really a year ago!), we had professional pics done for the site....and they're finally on there!  Check it out:  www.roseheights.org/reeves.  It's not the most flattering pic of me...and my hair is quite a bit longer now, but at least you can get an idea of what we look like.  Feel free to browse the rest of the site if ya want to see what our church looks like.

And one last thing!  Years ago, I attended Youth Camp at Timberline Baptist Camp in Lindale, TX.  I loved it!  One year in particular, a neat lady named Ruth Stoddard spoke to the entire group of kids (boys & girls) about abstinence.  She spent the week with us, speaking each day at our mid-day meeting.  She was humorous & silly, but at the same time, very serious.  She worked for Josh McDowell with the "Why Wait?" program.  She was incredibly candid with us, answering questions for us til 2am in our cabins.  She spoke to us on our level & was quite influential to me in concreting my belief to wait until marriage.  Of course I already knew that I wanted to wait til I was married, but her talks & the relationship she built with us that week at camp were very powerful & I have always remembered her & wanted to thank her for what she did.  WELL--- on a weird whim, I looked her up on myspace a few weeks ago.  She was there!!  I was a little surprised to see that she has a page, but I sent her a message anyway, asking if I had the right person.  Turns out, I did!  She wrote back this weekend & we've been writing back and forth ever since.  It's been really neat to connect w/ this person from the past and share with her the impact she had on my life as a teen.

I have a passion for abstinence education for our own kids and for teen pregnancy centers.  I'd love to work for Living Alternatives in the Fatherheart home (if you don't know what that is, ask me!).  I'd love to do for teens today what Ruth did for our youth group way back when.  Maybe one day God will lead me there....we'll see!

I guess that's about all that has happened this weekend.  Talk to you again soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, I can't wait to read your 32 Facts!!! :)

And I LOVE the professional pic of you and Larry, very nice!!!