Saturday, February 16, 2008

Fri night/Sat morning

What a crazy last 18 hours we've had!  What was supposed to be a smooth day of birthday festivities got a little complicated.  Let me recap for ya.

At playground time yesterday, my class was introduced to some baby bunnies & a baby goat.  I started sneezing almost immediately afterward, but so did most of my class.  I figured...what's the chance that we are ALL allergic to the goats & bunnies?  I assumed (& still figure) that it was probably a combination of the animals & the wind blowing around whatever molds/mildews are present right now.  I've been sniffling & sneezing some ever since but I think I'll be fine.

When Samuel got home from school yesterday, he said that he felt like his ear was plugged up & that it hurt.  I cleaned it out w/ a Qtip.  The boy is like a candle factory anyway (tons of wax) so this was nothing new---we have to clean his ears all the time.  That seemed to be the end of his complaints about his ear, but I did look into the one he said hurt.  It appeared to be white (indicating some pus behind the eardrum), but he didn't seem to be feeling bad, so I decided to wait it out & see if he complained again of pain in that ear.  After all, our immune systems have been fighting well so far this past week, so I just sort of forgot about it since he didn't seem to be hurting after we got it cleaned out.  By 6:30, he was sobbing & holding his head saying that his head, ear & throat hurt.  Uh oh.  Sarah's sleepover buddy was due to arrive at 7:00.  Since we knew that Samuel was exposed to strep throat last weekend, we decided he better get checked out, so Larry took him to the after hours place about 6:40 while I waited at the house for our party guest.  Thankfully, her mom was OK with her staying until we knew for sure what was going on w/ Samuel.  If it was just an ear infection, then that's not contagious & there would be no need to mess w/ the party plans.  She arrived right on time & the party was under way!

The girls all decided they didn't want a piece of cake, so we put the cake away for later.  Before I got the lid on it, though, Sarah had to test the cake's depth by shoving her finger into it.  Goober!

Onto the presents!  First she pulled out this cookie on a stick.  Yum!

Hooray!  A new Littlest Pet Shop toy!  She was thrilled!  Much of the rest of the evening was spent playing w/ this toy.  About 8:30, we went to the video store to get a movie.  The girls picked out several DVDs & some popcorn.

While we were gone, Larry called to tell me that Samuel has an ear infection in his right ear (the same one that looked suspicious to me earlier!).  The doc didn't do a strep swab test because he was giving him an antibiotic for the ear & if he had any other infections (like strep throat), it would kill that, too.  When the girls & I got back from the video store, they made out the beds (on the floor) and parked themselves in front of the kids' little TV in Sarah's room.  It wasn't long before Larry & Samuel got back.  A little while later, I found the girls like this.  Sort of funny since they had a big pallet on the floor where they could've slept!

At this point, I crashed in my own bed & felt like the hard part was over.  Right?

At about 7:50 this morning, Sarah came to my bedroom to tell me that Savannah said her throat her "real bad".  She had taken her a cup of ice water but Savannah said it hurt to drink it.  Oh boy!  I told her to send Savannah to me.  When she walked in, my first reaction was to open up the covers & let her crawl into bed with me.  Whoa....she was like a little furnace!  Burning up with fever, I knew right away that something was up.  She had 102.3 fever!  Talk about a bad way to wake up.  Poor kid.  Larry got up & took her to the doc's office (luckily they're open on Saturday mornings).  Since she was exposed to the flu this week, I was a little nervous that it might be that.  Turns out that she has strep throat (but thankfully NOT the flu)!  This is the first time she's had it since she got her tonsils removed in Dec06 (which is WHY we got her tonsils out---she had it 6-7x/year before we yanked out her tonsils!).  Once in 14 months sounds a lot better to me, but still...I'd rather not catch it myself!

Once we knew that she was sick, I called our little houseguest's mom to tell her what was going on.  I knew she'd be thrilled to know we'd exposed her daughter to not one, but two sick children during her visit with us.  I swear we don't normally do this to other people intentionally.

Our little friend went home this morning a little earlier than planned, but I think everyone had fun during her visit.  We're thankful that we didn't have to cancel the sleepover, but a little bummed that we have 2 sick kiddos now.

Oh......and tune in tomorrow for news about a dog.  That's a whole other story that needs its own post.  :)

No comments: