Saturday, March 8, 2008

Friday March 7

Friday was my last day of work for a week.  This coming week is Spring Break.  While I'm looking forward to the break so I can do some deep cleaning & organizing around the house, I am not so fond of the fact that I won't get a paycheck next week.  Oh well...I guess that's part of getting a break at work.

My last week at work was spent doing one of my favorite units with the kids.  It was our pond week.  On Monday & Tuesday, we had a pond in the classroom.  It was a big tub full of muddy water with aquarium plants, a floating lily pad & plastic frogs.  The kids & I loved sitting on the floor around it, getting our hands wet & muddy.  Such fun!  We used small dowel rods with magnets on yarn to go fishing and created some really fun pond crafts throughout the week.  One of my very favorite things is our "Duck Hunt" that we did on Friday.  I do this every year with my class & we have so much fun with it!  Savannah's stuffed duck "Puddles" comes to school with me & meets all the kids and then "disappears" about the time we're ready to sit down & have Circle Time together.  Oh no!  Where could he be?  We then go on a walk around the school to other classrooms & the office to find "clues" as to where Puddles might be.  I tell the kids that Puddles must've gone on a walk & gotten lost so we have to find him!  Along the way, we find yellow feathers that I planted with other teachers ahead of time & the kids are astonished to learn that maybe Puddles had been there.  We circle around the whole school looking for Puddles before we finally give up & go back to our room sad that we couldn't find him.  During the time that we're gone, the teacher through the wall from me (who's been holding onto Puddles all along) sneaks in & puts him back in the room.  Yesterday, she put him in the dollhouse and the kids were tickled to find him in the room when we came back from our 'duck hunt'.

While I was at work, Larry took King to the vet for his first visit.  He got caught up on his shots and necessary stuff.  We found out he has arthritis & is overweight (we already knew both) and that he needs his teeth cleaned.  He doesn't have very many teeth (remember, he's an older dog) so we need to keep the few he has healthy.  It's not the absolute top priority right now, but it will get done.  Here are another recent pic of King, our big sweet fluffball.  It was funny because Larry & I took him for a walk and when Larry stopped to talk to a neighbor, this is where King parked himself.  He's stuch a good boy!

And of course my blog would not be complete if I didn't share one exciting tidbit from Friday.  It SNOWED!  The forecasts had said it might, but we weren't sure we believed them.  It didn't make sense for it to snow.  It sure wasn't cold enough for snow....but when we woke up, it was snowing by 7am & continued to come down really hard until about 12 noon.  Then it stopped...abruptly.  As soon as it did, the sun came out & what little bit had accumulated was melted & GONE by 1:00.  This was just a few minutes after it began---see how it's very lightly covering the neighbor's roof across the street?

And this was about the same timeframe.  There was a slight dusting of snow on these chairs.

Oh well...it was fine while it lasted.

No comments: