Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Gifts

In mid-January, I start Christmas shopping. I find things on clearance racks, in mark-down bins, hidden at the back of the toy rack. I shop at Walmart, Target, eBay and (shhh!) even yard sales. I buy things that the kids will actually USE (& more importantly, USE UP!). Anything that will not become another thing to sit on the shelf or clutter their room is high on the list of 'must haves'. CDs, DVDs & books that they can use & re-use, magazine subscriptions that will be spread out over the entire year, a video game that will occupy them, and of course the typical mom gift---socks & underwear! These are the types of things I aim for when shopping. Our gifts are pretty modest. They get more than many kids, but a whole lot less than many others. We don't go crazy spending money because we don't want their focus to be on how much they get, but rather enjoy whatever it is that they get. (Besides, we have relatives that spoil them for Christmas, so they certainly don't need that at home!)

In January, I pull out my Christmas notebook (yes, I actually have a notebook!) and create 1 page for each of the kids. On those pages, I divide it into 3 sections: gifts from us, gifts from Santa & stocking-stuffers. In each section, I number 1 to 5. Throughout the year as I pick up an item, I fill in those blanks & hide the item.

I try to even things out as far as the gifts from us go. They're not old enough to compare value of gifts, so that's not an issue (or maybe they just haven't figured out what things cost yet!), but I do try to keep the types of items they get similar. After all, anything to reduce the number of arguments is always a smart choice. Here's what is under the tree this year for my kids.

from us:
SAVANNAH
1. Barnes & Noble gift card $10
2. Nintendo DS game (eBay)
3. personalized lapboard (bought at the teacher's workshop I went to in November for $6!)
4. undies/socks
5. 3 backissues of Neopets magazine (eBay) ---and mark my words, THIS will be her favorite gift from us!

SAMUEL
1. Toys R Us gift card $10
2. Hulk pajamas (clearance at Walmart)
3. lapboard (see above)
4. socks/undies
5. kids' cookbook (eBay--THIS will be his favorite!)

SARAH
1. Walmart gift card $10
2. Littlest Pet Shop toy (eBay- THIS will be her favorite!)
3. lapboard (see above)
4. undies/socks
5. About Me book (Avon)

from Santa:
SAVANNAH
1. Neocash card (for use on neopets.com)
2. Charlotte's Web DVD (walmart $5)
3. High School Musical1 CD
4. Webkinz (ebay)
5. spiral notebooks & a package of mechanical pencils (THIS will be her favorite!)
6. Tinkerbell pillowcase (I fudged & added 1 extra goodie to each of the kids' Santa list)

SAMUEL
1. basketball
2. Ant Bully DVD (Walmart $5)
3. Madagascar soundtrack CD
4. Webkinz (eBay)
5. cologne (THIS will be his favorite)
6. Batman pillowcase

SARAH -- I'm not sure which will be her favorite!
1. Charlotte's Web 2 DVD (Walmart $5---cool how Santa matched up her & Savannah's movies, huh?)
2. Hannah Montana CD
3. birthstone ring & cherry pendant necklace (Avon)
4. Polly Pocket pool toy
5. Webkinz (eBay)
6. Tinkerbell pillowcase to match Savannah's

Stockings (they know we fill the stockings...not Santa):
SAVANNAH
Avon lotion & lip balm, bath fizzies, coupons for fun things w/ mom & dad, Hannah Montana trading cards & candy
SAMUEL
parachute man toy, Basketball cards, coupons (like Savannah's), matchbox cars & candy
SARAH
same as Savannah's

There ya have it. That is what the kids are getting. What are you asking for Santa to leave under your tree?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Great job. My mom is similarly organized and kept a notebook too :)