Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sunday December 7

Today was our church's annual Christmas service. All of the children sing, there is a live nativity scene, the music is fantastic. It's an all-around awesome event!

My day began as we left the house about 8:25. I snapped a couple pictures of the kids all decked out in their nice Christmas clothes for church. I think it took me about a dozen threats to snap Samuel's head off his shoulders to get a half-way decent smile. I swear...taking pictures of that boy is torture. Sigh...anyway, I did finally get this one.


They wanted to take 1 silly picture, but as they decided how to pose, Sarah had to run to the bathroom & so I only ended up with 2 silly kids.


When we arrived at the church, we went to the dressing room where Sarah would get her hair & make-up done. Today, she played the part of a train bearer for one of the 3 kings in the nativity. My best friend Kathy did her make-up! (& she told Sarah, as I took this picture, that she would see them both on my blog tonight....so you KNOW I have to show you this picture now! ha ha!)


While her hair & make-up were done, the other kids went onto Sunday School. Sarah ended up going to class...for about 10 minutes. By the time she got there it was nearly over. All of the kids (not just my kids, but ALL the kids at church) lined up & were ushered into the sanctuary for the service. It was such a phenomenal service. After a slideshow of photos that members of the church sent in to be used & a lot of awesome orchestra music, it was time for the kids to take the stage.

The choir that Samuel is in did a song alone first. This is the choir.


At practice Wednesday night, Samuel was really bummed about being little...having to always stand on the bottom row. Of course, there's no way to encourage him or make him feel better about being small, so I just had to pat his back & try to love him through his moment of feeling bad. However, when we got there this morning, they told us that they figured out something. With the orchestra seated in front of the choir, the little guys on the front row would be hidden. And so, Samuel & all the other tiny guys got moved to the very TOP of the risers & the tall kids who had been on the back row were moved to the floor! He was sooo happy about that! Of course, it was hard to see him, but talk about vindication for a "little guy"! I zoomed in & got one half-way alright picture of him. See him? That's him in the back in the black shirt.


The preschool through 2nd grade choir joined the stage next & sang a song with Samuel's choir. I didn't get a picture of Sarah because she was way over on the other side of the stage. As soon as the song ended, she ran to the back to change into her costume for the live nativity. It was very pretty.

Mary, Joseph & baby Jesus were seated in the middle. (Shh...don't tell...baby Jesus was played by an 11 week old baby girl today.) That white blob at the bottom of this picture is the head of one of the 2 shepherds who came & knelt in front of baby Jesus.


The three kings entered from the sides & down the center aisle. They also came to kneel by Jesus. This was Sarah's king that she followed. (He was mid-way down to kneeling when I snapped this picture, thus the awkward pose.) As it turns out, he was RIGHT in front of us, so we could get good pictures!


Look at my pretty train bearer (on the right). Good job, Sarah!


When their part was over, they went to the back to change back into their regular clothes. Wasn't her costume pretty?


After seeing her face with a little make-up, I realize how soon she's going to be to the age of wearing make-up regularly. That was a little scary because she looked really pretty in make-up!
When everything was said & done, I TRIED to take another pic of the kids in front of the pretty poinsettias. It was a no go. I got a bunch of pictures, but none of them turned out well. Of course, this one made me mad at the time because they were goofing off so much...but I think it's pretty funny! (Shhhhh...don't tell them. I was showing them my 'mean, stern, I'm not happy with you' mommy face when they did this. I really wanted them to get serious & take 1 decent picture!)


Larry took the kids & went home after church while I stayed to help with a shower for a friend of ours. Congratulations, Mary! I can't wait to meet Mr. Right!

P.S. I finished the laundry. :)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Awwww. I'm so sad we didnt make it. I tried. :(

Jamey said...

Wow that looks like it was allot of fun! cute pictures!