Sunday, August 9, 2009

Summer Day 71, Sun Aug 9th

This morning, our plan for the day included AM & PM church with a break in between to rest a little. Oh how things changed.

At about 8:00, my father in law called to let us know that my mother in law had just gotten home from the hospital. She has a broken collar bone. She has osteoporosis & apparently just rolled over in bed & broke it. ouch! We assured him that we'd skip PM church and come to check on her this afternoon/evening.

Off to church we went. Savannah & I were working in the nursery during the late service when she was stricken with the early signs of a migraine. She gets the 'aura' -- flashes of light & spots in her field of vision before it hits. She went to the bathroom for a wet paper towel & stayed there for a while before someone came to get me & let me know she was asking for me. She usually suffers with the intense pain for about an hour before she throws up several times and then the headache subsides slowly. I left my nursery duty & went to one of our pastors' offices to lay in the dark, quiet, coolness & wait for church to end. Larry was teaching a class & I didn't want to disturb him. When church was over, the nausea peeked & she threw up several times on the way to and in the car. (nice, huh?) Poor baby girl. We looked back in her journal & discovered that the last one of these was on July 14th. Just shy of 3 weeks ago. yuck. That's too close for me to feel comfortable any more. I'm calling her pediatrician tomorrow morning to see how quickly they can get her in. It's time for her annual check up anyway, so we can address this all at one time. I'm hoping that we can get her on some sort of medicine that she can take at the first sign of a migraine & knock these things out. I strongly suspect it's all hormone/puberty related, but I hate to see her suffering with these things!

After her getting sick like that, I figured she & I would stay home tonight while Larry and the other kids went to check on his mom. But low & behold, by the time we got home, he had 3 voice mails on his phone. All of them related to a particular case he's working on and he had to leave immediately. That was about 6 hours ago. He's been at his office all day working on that case & is now headed to his mom's house to check on her. His office is actually about 1/2 way between our house & hers, so it didn't make sense for him to come home & get us and then go there.

The kids & I are home. They're watching an iCarly special they have been wanting to see and I'm relaxing a little. Savannah's headache has finally passed completely and there is a sense of calm in the house that wasn't here earlier today.

It's funny how much your day can get turned upside down in an instant, isn't it? Yet another reminder that *I* am not in control...of anything!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I have migraines too, Liz. And I get the aura first. One simple remedy that works if I get it when the aura hits first is 4 regular aspirin and a can of Mountain Dew. (The aspirin thins the blood and the caffeine in the Mtn Dew opens capillaries so blood can flow better.) If the aura goes away without any medicine, the pain and throwing up hits and lasts a long time. Then I feel like the inside of my head is bruised for a couple days afterwards.

The RX med I'm on is 10mg Maxalt. Again, taken as soon as the aura hits, it works wonders.

Just passing on stuff that's worked for me.

Amanda said...

Yuck on migraines. Poor Savannah.

I didn't start getting them until I was 19, after I was in a bad car wreck. Maxalt and Axert are good meds to have on hand to take when you feel on coming on.

My mom, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt and uncle have all gotten horrible migraines since they were really young. It really, really runs in my mom's side of the family. I don't usually throw up with mine, but my mom and Grammy do a lot of the time. They take Imitrex at onset, and my mom also takes a daily dose of Inderal to try to prevent them. I had to take Imitrex while I was pregnant when I got them bc it's the only migraine med that is safe during pregnancy, and I don't like how it makes me feel.

Anyway. That turned into a long comment. Just trying to share what I know :) I hope Savannah outgrows the headaches!!